NPR’s Tiny Desk Creator, Bob Boilen, Announces Retirement

Bob Boilen, who began with NPR in 1988, functioned as the network’s director for “All Things Considered,” and helped create what we now call Tiny Desk Concerts. In the beginning of October 2023, Boilen announced his retirement from the network, beckoning the music community to reflect on Boilen’s impact on the industry. For nearly 15 years, Boilen, along with co-founder Stephen Thompson, have been inviting artists from every genre to come to Washington D.C. to perform at NPR’s headquarters. There musicians are invited to perform “stripped down” versions of their songs, allowing individual artists to showcase raw talent, instrumentals, and vocals in a way that has never been done before. From this creation, Tiny Desk Concerts were born. Boilen’s office-turned-studio is structured to replicate an office desk, scattered with papers, books, and pictures, creating an intimate setting for musical art to be showcased. From the camera’s perspective, the viewer can only see the band in the office like setting. Occasionally, the camera will flip, revealing a crowd of around 50 viewers on the other side of the camera. Since the creation of Tiny Desk in 2008, it has grown increasingly popular with the recordings of the performances generating millions of views online.  

If you are unfamiliar with NPR’s Tiny Desk Concerts, there is much to be said on the talent they showcase, the message they share, and the joy they provide. Artists such as the Lumineers, Tyler Childers, Mac Miller, Tyler the Creator, Anderson, Paak, and Hozier are just a handful of the artists that have performed on NPR’s Tiny Desk.  Most artists are accompanied by instrumentalists that are positioned intricately beside the artist. This is not always the case, however, as some artists perform solo. The video recordings are presented from a variety of angles, allowing the online viewer to experience the concert in a very intimate setting, just as Boilen intended. Tiny Desk Concerts showcase artists’ talents in a way that has never been done before. While the artists mentioned have a larger name in the music industry, there are many more artists that are given the chance to perform on NPR’s Tiny Desk Concert, despite having a smaller following; one Tiny Desk Concerts is Anna Tivel. Tivel has an unbelievable ability to deliver moving messages through folk music. She can tell amazing stories through her music, and her performance on Tiny Desk is no exception. Through her Tiny Desk Concert, people have been able to discover her music, and unveil a newfound appreciation for her emotion-filled music.  

The idea of Tiny Desk Concerts, described in an interview by Boilen, was an attempt to film “video blogs” that others could enjoy. In an interview with Boilen regarding his departure from NPR, he explained that Tiny Desk was merely a shot in the dark. In a recording of the first videotape that is now Tiny Desk, Boilen humbly stated, “maybe it is the start of something, and maybe it is not.” Little did Boilen know he would start a 15-year cascade of some of the best live performances of our time. Despite Boilen retiring, Tiny Desk Concerts will resume at full force, showing no signs of slowing.  

Concerts are performed around a monthly basis, filmed, and posted to YouTube for billions of people to enjoy. Part of what makes Tiny Desk Concerts so special is that you cannot buy tickets to the concerts, you must just be touring NPR headquarters and happen to get lucky with an artist performing. Some tickets can be bought, but in most cases, it is sheer luck.  

Bob Boilen created a show that is now cherished by many in the music community. NPR’s Tiny Desk performances are meant to celebrate others and their art, while showcasing talent and encouraging appreciation for music. Tiny Desk allows you to not only experience these effects, but to gain a greater knowledge of other musicians and their talents. You may find a new favorite artist or see your favorite artist in a new light. As we reflect on the impact of Tiny Desk Concerts, we may get excited for what is to come, all with Boilen to thank.  

Sadie Blace is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected].