UND Earns Redemption in Saturday Victory Over Minnesota

Maeve Hushman

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA — Freshman defensemen from Phoenix, Arizona, Jake Livanavage’s first career NCAA goal could not have been bigger. In the midst of a heated rivalry Livanavage’s goal secured redemption and a series split with the top-ranked Minnesota Golden Gophers.  

“It was amazing obviously the rivalry we have with them and just how much the state is behind you,” Livanavage said. “It’s pretty special.” 

The University of North Dakota beat the University of Minnesota 2-1 with a final shot count of 34-22 on Saturday Oct. 21.  

Assistant Captain Carson Albrecht said that the team was ready to bounce back after the loss the night before and was looking to make a statement out the gate,  

“After last night it wasn’t the outcome, we wanted. I don’t think we played a full 60,” Albrecht said. “So, we kind of had a chip on our shoulder and something improved… We played a full 60 and gave it our all.”

The first period was another battle with both teams exchanging a flurry of high danger chances. Both goalies stood tall and managed to keep the game scoreless after 20. With thirty seconds left in the period, Rhett Pitlick of Minnesota took a tripping penalty giving UND the manned advantage going into the second.  

Like Friday night, UND started the second period on the power play. While they could not convert on the powerplay, freshman Jayden Perron opened the scoring with a deflection 5 minutes into the second period. Unlike the night before, UND dominated the second period outshooting Minnesota 9-3.  

Livanavage was excited to see Perron, who played with Livanavage in juniors, score in this game as well. 

“It’s amazing,” he said. “It’s great for him to produce and he’s such a great player.” 

In the third, UND also came out hot. Livanavage would score in the second with the puck just trickling through Close’s pads and in. 

“I just came in on the ice… decided to put it on net and I just saw behind the goalie,” Livanavage said. “I don’t remember much after that.”  

UND drew three penalties but again failed to convert on any of their man advantages. UND only has one power play goal in four games, and they have not scored in fifteen chances. However, head coach Brad Berry liked where the power play was more in Saturday’s win.  

“We did a better job of trying to get pucks to the paint and try to get most of the area,” Berry said. “I think we’re getting looks. We just got to stay with it and not have any frustration and at the end of the day, we’ll break the seal.”  

In between the second and third penalties, Minnesota would spoil the shut out with Jaxon Nelson deflecting the puck in. But UND held on and closed out the game 2-1. 

Berry says it was a significant difference from last season where the team struggled to close out games.  

“In the last 10 minutes we have the game or last period I thought we did a really good job of winning a majority of the draws, that’s a huge deal and then selling out the block shots,” he said. “Those are big deals and I think finally having a goaltender in Ludvig Persson who is just calm in the net, giving yourself a chance to win.”  

Both Livanvage and Albrecht credited the win in large part to playing a full 60 minutes and not taking their feet off the gas when they started playing well.  

“Tonight, it was a focus to play a full 60,” Livanavage said. “We did that.” And Albrecht seconded that.  

“It was kind of just a confidence thing,” Albrecht said. “To come out today flying and just keep the pedal down.” 

The spilt series win on Saturday was a huge confidence booster and statement win for UND, according to Albrecht. 

“It gives us a lot of confidence. Obviously, they’re a great team, and just to know that we can play with them,” Albrecht said. “I think it’s huge to have that going forward just to know that we can play with anyone.”

While Saturday’s victory was hard fought and proudly won, the lack of sweep means one thing according to Berry, post-game workout. 

“If you have a sweep you don’t have to do a workout,” said Berry. “We’re gonna get in the weight room, we’re going to work out and we’ll take tomorrow off and then we’ll get back out and again… we’re turning the page; we’re already moving forward.”   

Next weekend UND faces off against Minnesota State Mankato at the Ralph Engelstad. Berry and the UND team are already looking ahead.  

“It’s a huge win, we get the split, turn the page and play our last few games at home next week,” he said. “Looking forward to it.” 

Maeve Hushman is a Dakota Student Sports Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected]