UND Stays Undefeated Against NAU

Garrett Webber

UND has played in four one-score games against the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks, including last year’s battle in Flagstaff, Arizona that ended in a 27-24 Fighting Hawk win. That trend would not continue Saturday. 

Saturday, September 9th was the 57th Annual Potato Bowl. Events ranging from a golf tournament to a French Fry Feed were going on all week leading up to the football game. The Fighting Hawks wore their bold Kelly-Green alternate uniforms against NAU. 

Lumberjack Head Coach Chris Ball made it clear during the first drive that Northern Arizona would be aggressive, going for it on a 4th down in UND territory. The attempt was unsuccessful, and the Hawks took over on their 36.  

After slowly reaching the RedZone, UND Offensive Coordinator dialed up a screen for Bo Belquist (Sr.) on a critical 3rd down. Belquist caught the pass from quarterback Tommy Schuster (Sr.), broke a tackle, and dragged defenders towards the goal line for a first down. Gaven Ziebarth (So.) would end up scoring on a 2-yard touchdown run.  

On the ensuing drive, the Lumberjacks were able to convert on back-to-back 3rd downs, leading to a field goal, and making the score 6-3. 

In the second quarter, UND had the type of drive the coaching staff wants to see every week. With the help of a great push from the offensive line, Ziebarth and Luke Skokna (Sr.) both had physical run after physical run. The long drive would end with a 1-yard touchdown run from Quincy Vaughn (Sr.) to give the Hawks a 13-3 lead. 

With less than a minute left in the half, NAU found themselves marching down the field. Then, with seconds left, Lumberjack quarterback Kai Miller was strip sacked. The ball was caught in mid-air by UND defensive lineman Jake Saltonstall (Gr.). Saltonstall would get to midfield, ultimately stopping a potential Lumberjack score. 

The third quarter began with three-and-outs from both teams. After that, Vaughn was able to find the endzone again on another 1-yard touchdown run, giving the Hawks a 20-3 lead.  

Northern Arizona was able to keep the game from getting out of hand with a long, sustained touchdown drive ending with an 11-yard touchdown pass to receiver Bryzai White. On the ensuing 2-point attempt, NAU quarterback Miller fumbled. The fumble was picked up by Ben McNaboe (Sr.) and returned all the way to the other endzone, giving the Hawks a 22-9 lead. 

UND would take the momentum from its defense and score again with a 45-yard touchdown pass to Wesley Eliodor (5th). Eliodor was able to sneak behind the safety and backpedal into the endzone, growing UND’s lead to 30-9. 

The following Lumberjack drive was stopped short by an Elijah Beach (Sr.) sack. UND would take the ball into Lumberjack territory. Looking to put the nail in the Lumberjack’s coffin, UND elected to go for it on a 4th down. Freund called Belquist’s number again, and Belquist answered. The New Rockford native caught a jump ball, getting right up to the endzone. Schuster scored on a 1-yard touchdown run to make the score 37-9. 

Northern Arizona would score two touchdowns within the last four minutes of the game, making the final score 37-22 in UND’s favor.  

Schuster ended the game with 259 passing yards, completing 21 of his 30 throws. He threw for a score and ran for one too. 

UND continued its split backfield gameplan, with three running backs getting significant touches. Ziebarth got his number called most often Saturday, getting 12 carries for 69 yards and a score. 

Belquist continued to be a problem for opposing defenses, leading the Hawks in targets and receptions. Belquist caught 8 of his 11 targets for 123 yards. Red Wilson (Sr) and Eliodor both had more than 50 receiving yards, providing great support for the UND passing attack.  

UND travels to Boise, Idaho next week in its single FBS battle for the season. The Hawks will play on the Broncos’ iconic blue turf on September 16th at 11 am. 

Garrett Webber is a Dakota Student General Reporter. He can be reached at [email protected]