Career fair hosts employers

CHANGE Biannual career fair expands to three days to target specific majors.

UND students Courtney Bunde (far left) and Ting Jia (far right) talk with exhibitors at the fall career fair. Photo by Keisuke Yoshimura/The Dakota Student.

Over the course of the past week, UND career services held its fall career fair for students and employers to attend. This year some new changes were implemented.

“We worked as a team to create this event. This year it was new to us because it was three days” Director of Career Services Ilene Odegard said.

Typically, the fall career fair is a one-day event for students to network and learn more about career opportunities with employers that attend.

This year the event was three days long and designed to help students make the most of the career fair by targeting certain fields on certain days.

UND student and mechanical engineering major Patrick Warren said he came to the career fair “to look for an internship and network with employers to see more of what they look for.”

A meet and greet was held Tuesday. This event gave students a chance to meet employers and network before the career fair began in a casual setting.

“We collaborated with the Alumni Association Foundation for the meet and greet at the Gorecki Alumni Center,” Odegard said. “There was a great turn out, and it’s a lovely venue.”

Wednesday was the first day of the career fair and focused on business, health and liberal arts related fields. It was attended by 60 employers.

Erin Kohles, an employee at Midcontinent Communications, said she enjoys coming to career fairs and meeting students.

“I wanted to learn more about technology … seeing what is important to students and also seeing what is new,” Kohles said.

Thursday, the career fair focused more on engineering and technical- related fields with 75 employers attending.

It is estimated more than 600 students attended the two days.

“We look for people who are involved, personable and have past experience,” said Rachel Oakland, a representative of civil engineering firm KLG.

In addition to these events, some employers held information sessions specifically about their companies.

“The events that many companies have before the actual career fair are a good way to come meet with the employees attending and hear about what they do and what they offer before the actual career fair,” electrical engineering major Nick Ackerman said. “It also allows you to introduce yourself to them beforehand so that you are not going to the fair itself blind.

“The separate events are just like the meet and greet but more aimed at specific students interested in coming.”

Prior to the career fair events, UND Career Services helps students prepare by teaching them how to introduce themselves, how to prepare a resume and even how to shake hands effectively.

If students are interested in learning more about UND Career Services, they can stop in at McCannel Hall room 280 or check out their website at http://und.edu/student-life/careers/index.cfm.

Ashley Marquis is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at ashley.marquis@my.und.edu.