Winter Break in Grand Forks 

Aspen Jewkes, Reporter

Being stuck in Grand Forks for winter break may not seem all that fun, but there are countless things to do to keep busy and to have a fun holiday. This year I will be spending most of my winter break in Grand Forks, while many of my friends get to go home to their families. Although Grand Forks is quite limited when it comes to things to do, there are plenty of things one could do to have an enjoyable time.   

If you are a hot chocolate fan like I am and you decide to have a night in, I highly recommend snuggling up in a fuzzy blanket that traps you in its coziness, drinking hot cocoa, and watching a classic Christmas movie like Elf, The Polar Express, The Grinch, Miracle on 34th Street, or any of the other countless wonderful Christmas movies out there. If you are not into watching holiday movies, some new movies that are going to be released at the River Cinema include, Avatar: The Way of Water, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, and Babylon. These movies are all going to be released in the middle or near-end of December. If you are not a movie person, there are also plenty of other activities one can take part in in Grand Forks and the surrounding areas.  

If you are an outdoor person like I am, you will want to grab your ice skates and head to the heart of Downtown Grand Forks. In the Towns Square, you will find the best outdoor ice-skating rink Grand Forks has to offer. They will be open from 10AM to 10PM during the winter weekdays. Whether you want to go during the day with the sun out, or at night with the warm ambiance of the lighting they have over the rink, ice skating is always a fun time.  

Another outdoor activity that could be enjoyable is snowshoeing along the Greenway. The UND Wellness Center has a section in it called the Outpost, which can be found directly through the doors in the entry way. Here is where you can rent snowshoes for only a fee of $5 for a day pass. If you are wanting them for longer, you can rent them for up to a week for $33.   

The Outpost has several other things you can rent for winter activities such as cross-country skis that come with the boots, skis, and poles, ice skates, and a snowboarding package that includes the snowboard, bindings, bag, helmet, and boots all for a relatively cheap price. These are all great ways to spend an afternoon outdoors partaking in physical activity, that is if the weather is not too brutal to withstand being outside for a duration of time.   

If the weather is too cold to do anything outdoors or you prefer to stay inside during the winter months, Urban Stampede is my go-to coffee shop to relax in. During this holiday season they have several delicious “holiday sippers” that include the Ginger Snap Latte, The North Star, Nana’s Goodies, The Nutcracker, Figgy Puddin, and the Mister Grinch. My personal favorite is Mister Grinch, which is a peppermint and vanilla matcha latte. Sitting in a cozy corner booth, reading a book, and sipping my Mister Grich is one of my favorite ways to spend an evening.   

Whether you get to go to your home for the holiday or you have to stay in Grand Forks, there are plenty of things to do to have an enjoyable winter break.   

Aspen Jewkes is Dakota Student writer and Social Media Manager. She can be reached at [email protected].