Workin’ for The Weekend

Benefits of working on campus

Courtesy of Unsplash

Demetria Slyt, Opinion Writer

Almost everyone knows the struggle of trying to juggle a job, on top of the never-ending course work, while going to college. Your job may be on-campus, off-campus, or even an online or “remote” job. Each has its own benefits, but at the same each can also be difficult in their own ways. As someone who has two jobs myself, one on-campus and one remote, I can honestly say both of those options really work really well for me. They could work really well for you too! Working off-campus, from personal experience, can be a bit of a hassle depending on where you work; whether that be in retail or at a restaurant. Some employers expect too much from people who are going to school and unfortunately not many are very flexible with a student’s demanding schedule. If you are a part-time student it may be much easier to manage work and school. Why are on-campus jobs beneficial to students? What opportunities do on-campus jobs offer? Why might an off-campus job be difficult to manage?  

I think working on-campus is a great option for anyone who’s trying to keep up with their schooling. I’ve been told, when you’re a student you can work up to 32 – 38 hours a week on-campus depending on your schedule. That hourly limit is there so that students don’t overwhelm themselves with too much stimuli while trying to get through school. You can work as many hours as you’d like, not exceeding the aforementioned limit which is incredibly reasonable. It’s really easy for students to stretch themselves too thin, and that can be debilitating. On-campus jobs are also really flexible and accommodating to your individual needs. UND Dining Services, my on-campus job for the past three years, is a great example of this. The student leadership team there always works their hardest to make sure students are happy and feeling their best at work. Proper communication is key in any work environment! The student definitely comes first in this kind of setting. 

Working on-campus can also be really nice if you live in the dorms or even just have a short walk to campus. Saves time and energy if you’re running late, if you forgot something, or if you need to run home for any reason. This is also pretty helpful if you’re a student on the go and you happen to work close by your various courses. On-campus jobs also offer different opportunities for any major. You can find various internships on campus, paid or unpaid, in a number of departments. You may find a job that suits your interests and gives you professional career experiences. I know at UND Dining you can build on your team, communication, and leadership skills if that’s something you’re interested in. There are tons of job opportunities that open up on the university student employment page, and other job listings that may be posted around campus. If you’re looking for a decent job that’s friendly, fun, and flexible, I would recommend working with UND Dining services; we’re always looking for more people to help out. You get to meet a lot of different people too! 

If you’re a student on the move, working on campus may be for you! Most on-campus jobs are very flexible with any student’s schedule and strive to work with students if they have any issues.  

Demetria Slyt is a Dakota Student Staff Writer. She can be reached at [email protected]