Career Expo

What to expect and tips for preparing for an interview

Brianna Mayhair, News Writer

On Tuesday, February 4, the Spring 2020 Career Expo will be taking place at the Alerus Center from 12-4 p.m. allowing undergraduates and graduates from UND from across all fields of study as well as UND alumni the opportunity to talk to numerous employers to create possible contacts in your field of study.  The UND Career Expo allows a more efficient way of communicating with different employers in a short amount of time face-to-face.  

The Career Expo Fall 2019 brought in over 1,200 students and 190 companies attended the expo giving a wide range to all fields of study.  The large number of career opportunities at Career Expos raises the chance of a possible interview. Interview space is available at the Alerus Center and at Twamley Hall on Tuesday, February 4, before, during or after the Career Expo and Wednesday, Feb. 5.  If you have any questions about setting up an interview call 701.777.4103.  

Students planning on attending the Spring 2020 Career Expo or any future Career Expos should come properly prepared.  Students should bring their student ID, a letter-sized portfolio with a pen and notepad, copies of your resume, research notes on employers attending the expo and a compact, professional portfolio of work samples.  Students should keep themselves and materials neat and professional.  

Before attending the Career Expo individuals interested in communicating with possible employers should dress professionally.  How you are dressed can make an impact on a company before you say a single word. Individuals should dress in a professionally appropriate manner to the possible position they are applying.  When in doubt, it is best to be conservative. Clothes should not have flashy colors and large jewelry should be avoided. Clothes should be comfortable but fit in order to present yourself well.  Avoid wearing a large amount of perfume or cologne to prevent possible allergic reactions or distracting others. Hair should be clean and conservative avoiding flashy hair accessories.      

Now having dressed the part, next is to communicate with possible employers and set up an interview. Having a successful interview isn’t as easy as it seems.  Students should keep in mind some of these tips when preparing for their next interview. It is important to research the companies you are interested in to be prepared for possible questions about the company.  Understanding why you want the job is important not only for the student being interviewed but for the company as well. It shows you are interested and have organized your thoughts beforehand as well as showing respect for the company’s times.  Be prepared for concerns or common interview questions. By anticipating questions and practicing how to respond professionally, it will help the interview run smoothly and discard possible unnecessary pauses. Lastly, remember to bring your resume and end the interview on a positive note by thanking the company for the interview.      

The day after the Career Expo students are encouraged to contact representatives they spoke with through email or call.  When sending an email, it is important to include your resume and proofread before sending. 

Students who are unable to drive to the Career Expo, transportation will be provided.  Three Shuttles will be running on campus from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on February 4. Shuttles will be marked that are for the Career Expo.  Shuttles pick-up and drop-off at Odegard, Gamble and Upson on the hour, 20 minute and 40 minute. Drop-off and pick-up are located at door eight at the Alerus Center.   

For students interviewing on Feb. 5, there will be two passenger vans running between 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.  The vans will be marked clearly and will drop-off and pick-up at the same locations instructed on February 4. Pick-ups on campus are on the hour and half-hour all day. New