UND Senate Candidates for 2019-2020

A voter guide

Theresa Hanley, News Writer

Name: Dawson Dutchak

Position: Residence Halls Senator

Major: Management and Managerial Finance and Accounting

Purpose – “Since arriving on campus this past fall, I have been fortunate enough to find multiple opportunities to get involved on campus through the Association of Residence Halls, the North Dakota Student Association, and especially Student Government, where I currently serve as a Residence Halls Senator. I have quickly fallen in love with this university so many of us call home, and I am running to have the ability to give back, to be a voice for student wants and concerns, and make UND as great as possible”

Future goals and plans if elected- “There are many changes coming to housing as the university tries to make that department more profitable, as well as reinvest in and revitalize the residence halls to make them more appealing. I hope to be able to continue to provide student input in those changes, and use the relationships I have developed with housing faculty members to ensure the best experience for students. Along with changes to housing, many changes are coming to dining as they also push to create more profit and accommodate the lack of a Memorial Union next year. I also hope to be able to continue to provide a student voice during these changes to provide the best dining services possible for students. Internet on campus and in the residence, halls isn’t always super fast or reliable, and as a senator, this is an issue I would like to have the opportunity to work on pushing to the forefront of the university’s priorities so this essential part of being a student is improved.”

Name: Molly Hane

Position: On-Campus Apartments

Major: Elementary Education

Minor: Middle-Level Education

Purpose – “I am running so I can work to make the on-campus apartments more connected with the rest of campus. Ensuring on-campus apartment students are included in important decisions is my priority”

Future goals and plans if elected- “I would like to work with my housing contacts to create a platform for my constituents to voice their concerns with the on-campus apartments. In the past, we had an organization similar to the Association of Residence Halls (ARH), so I would like to look into why that failed and how a better system could be implemented

Name: Admir Ekic

Position: Off-campus

Major: Psychology and Pre-Med, minor in German

Purpose – “I’m running for this position because student leadership is something that I have always been passionate about. I love leading and representing others and making a difference at my school and in my community”

Future goals and plans if elected – “Three ideas are f I win, create more events for students on and off campus and allow students to voice their opinions on events they would like, also making it easy for students to hear about these opportunities. Be a voice and a middle man for my fellow students, listen to students and take requests and complaints and bring them directly to the student government and administration. Help create one campus where every student finds something they are interested in; whether that be in helping start a new club or organization, helping students get involved in the Grand Forks community, or just providing students with information for such groups. “

Name: Natalia Simonett

Position: Off-Campus

Major: Marketing

Minor: Graphic design and new art media

Purpose – “I am honored and excited to be running for Off-Campus Senator because of the instrumental changes planned for this year. This position will provide me a platform to be the voice of many.  My focus is to keep students up to date with the information and resources they need. My purpose is to encourage students to express their views, even the unpopular ones.”

Future goals and plans if elected-  “As an off-campus senator, my main goals would be to improve communication and open the dialogue between off-campus students and UND. I would also like to enhance the visibility of resources and tools available for off-campus students and as well as making all those changes transparent. I would also plan to foster an inclusive environment where all opinions and ideas are heard.”

Name: Sheridan Allen-Opp

Position: Off-Campus

Major: Business Management

Purpose – “I made the decision to run because I feel that it is very important that everyone feels involved in campus life, even if they do not directly live on campus.”

Future goals and plans if elected- “If I were to be elected, I would strive to make this campus connected. I love UND and want to help bring students the essentials they need to aid them in being as successful as possible. There are so many great resources on campus that are not well known, and creating awareness would be another goal of mine.”

Name: Aiden Halleen

Position: Off-Campus

Major: Social Work with a pre-law emphasis

Minor: Sociology

Purpose “I am running as an off-campus senator because I have a passion for helping students voices be heard to help promote change. I want to work towards greater transparency between students and administration and improve student involvement opportunities across campus.”

Future plans and goals if elected- “If elected I would like to work towards several goals. One of my goals is to create a better relationship between on and off campus students by creating more common zones for all students, especially with the loss of the union. A second goal I have is to bring in more events that are inspired by what UND students want to have on campus to allow for a better college experience. A third goal that I have is to promote transparency between students and the administration so that students have more opportunities to voice their concern, reach a better understanding on campus changes, and to create better relationships within the University.”

Name: Victoria Goven

Position: Off-Campus

Major: Banking and Financial Economics

Purpose – “I am running for off-campus senator because I want to work with UND parking services to get you to lower costing parking permits for the upcoming year. I want to be your voice in making parking services satisfactory.”

Future plans and goals if elected- “A few things I want to do if I win are, set up a notification system though UND parking services; so if you get a ticket, you get notified via email or text. I also want to implement a good driver’s discount on parking permits. With that, the idea is that if you have a good driving record on campus, such as no parking violations, then you can get your permit at a discount. This would give students the opportunity to lower the cost of the increasing parking permits being implemented next year.”

Name: Taya Schadler

Position: Off-Campus

Major: Political Science and Psychology

Purpose – “I’m running as I know there are a lot of people who aren’t involved in organizations on campus and don’t know how to make their recommendations heard, so I’d like to be their voice. I’d also like to make sure they’re getting properly updated information.”

Future plans and goals if elected- “I’d like to do this by making sure a synopsis of student government meetings gets posted on social media and more information gets posted on Toilet Talks (funny idea but who doesn’t read those?!). I also think monthly meetings between department heads and a student government representative would be helpful to make sure they’re getting the information they need to pass along to students and also making sure professors are remembering to inform students (especially freshmen) about things like the Student Involvement page”

Name: James Stratton

Position: Off-Campus

Major: Operations and Supply Chain Management

Purpose – “I am running for student senate because I want to be more involved with the student body here at UND. I also want to gain more experience with things such as student government because it’s something bigger than myself.

Future plans and goals if elected- “Three things I would like to accomplish if I am elected: decrease the prices of purchasing/renting books, implement a campus-wide university Uber/shuttle, this is to decrease injuries during the winter season. I would also like to get better equipment to clear sidewalks of snow and ice during the winter season.”

Name: Erika Thorson

Position: Off-Campus

Major: Psychology

Purpose – “I am running because I love working with others and meeting new people. I want dive deeper into the university life and be a good, strong voice for the students here at UND.”

Future plans and goals if elected – “IF I win I would like to, find ways to connect off campus and on-campus students, whether it be through activities, volunteering, or clubs and organizations. I would also like to work with other senators, students and the University to find effective solutions for problem areas for students such as parking. I also want to push any ideas or concerns brought to me by students. This is the most important role in being a senator.”

Reed Olson

Position – off-campus senator

Name: Zachary Feece

Position: Off-Campus

Major: Political Science and Public Affairs

Purpose – “I am running so I can represent the interests of students living off-campus, and make sure that their voice has an impact on the direction our university is going. By doing this I hope to play a part in bringing together the different divisions of the UND student body into one cohesive community.”

Future plans and goals if elected – “If elected I would work towards making our on-campus parking system convenient and usable for all students. I would also work to expand our bus route to include more off-campus locations. Another big issue coming up is the selection of our next university president, and I would love to play a part in the decision-making process and find someone who has the right vision for UND.”

Name: Tiana Stuadinger

Position: Off-Campus

Major: Biology and Psychology with a pre-med focus

Purpose – “I am running as an Off-Campus Senator because I want to create a united campus, allowing every student to have a voice for our future. I want to see a change in the concerns that have been expressed this year such as student involvement, parking, and opportunities provided to students.”

Future plans and goals if elected – “As a senator, I will advocate for change and dedicate myself to represent the students of UND. With communication and drive, I believe we can make the changes necessary to have a brighter future for this campus by connecting Greek Life, athletic organizations, student organizations, on-campus students, and off-campus students so that all students can feel like UND is their home.”

Name: Kia Isherwood

Position: Off-Campus

Major: Criminal Justice and Sociology

Purpose – “I am running for senate because I wanted to branch out from what I’m

used to. I want to do something that can make a difference”

Future plans and goals if elected – “If I win, I would like to focus on learning disabilities, affordable child care for students, and more activities to get on and off campus students together.

Name: Parker Wakefield

Position: Off-Campus

Major: Aviation Management

Purpose- “I am running for Off-Campus Senate because I truly believe that I will make a difference on this platform. Also, I have always been very interested in student government and I love representing the student body.”

Future plans and goals if elected- “If elected, I want to organize more events that include the entire campus, this includes more things like Spring Fever! I want to encourage Greek life to get more involved with the community and the campus instead of sectioning us off. I want to be a part of the next steps in moving forward as there will be changes around campus and parking issues!”

Name: Michael Lilya

Position: Off-Campus

Major: Commercial Aviation

Purpose – “I am running as an off-campus senator because I believe that the students of UND deserve to have their voices heard. I want to make every student feel as though the university really cares about them, and that they are not just a number.”

Future plans and goals if elected – “If I win, I will work with the university to promote transparency, I will work to get handicap parking at every education building, and I will help plan events to bridge the gap between professors and students!”

Name: Jacob Haugen

Position: Graduate

Major: Biomedical Sciences

Purpose – “I am running for the graduate senator position to immediately get more involved within the graduate school and my peers as well as to provide a loud voice for the graduate student community.”

Future plans and goals if elected – “I’ll be honest I don’t have any specific ideas at the moment on how to benefit the graduate school community beside for making sure that their opinion is heard and part of this is that undergraduate and graduate schools are very separate from each other which is, in a way, a problem in and of itself”

Name: Riley McLean

Position: Arts and Sciences

Major: Molecular and Integrative Biology, Honors

Purpose – I am running because I want to facilitate the formation of an interconnected network between students in my college and the rest of the university while serving as an advocate for all university members, especially those studying various disciplines of arts and sciences.

Future plans and goals if elected – As a senator, I would like to keep students updated on all the substantial changes occurring on our campus. I promise to work diligently to ensure all students are satisfied with their experience at UND. Ultimately, I aspire to put tools in the hands of our students so they can succeed in every capacity during their time at UND.

Name: Ryan Majerus

Position: Arts and Sciences

Major: Communication and Philosophy with a pre-law concentration, minors in ethics, leadership, and Spanish

Purpose-  “I have been a University Senator that has voiced the opinions of the students before, but I also have ideas and visions to strengthen the College of Arts & Sciences. My goal is to increase communication between the various colleges.”

Future plans and goals if elected – “If I win I would like to increase support for smaller class sizes and decrease the number of students in large lecture classes. Increase the Writing Center’s budget with the goal of returning it to last year’s budget ($20,000). I would also like to increase support for multicultural and diversity initiatives such as the ELL program.”

Name: Kajsa Anderson

Position: Arts and Sciences

Major: Pre-Medicine/Biology

Minors: Psychology and Spanish

Purpose – “I am running because of my past experience in student government. This year, I have really enjoyed the changes I have been able to be involved in and have been grateful for the opportunity to better this campus for students”

Future plans and goals if elected – Two things I am very passionate about are Open Educational Resources and improving the access to online classes for our students. I would like students at UND to have more budget friendly options to allow them to excel in their classes. I would also like to bring in other educational opportunities for students for subjects such as finances, health and safety, etc. as I feel that these are really important topics that many of us do not learn in our specific career paths here at UND.”

Name: Cassidy Lizakowski

Position: Business and Public Administration

Major: Business Management

Purpose – “I have a strong desire to become your student senator at the University of North Dakota, because I love this school and campus so much. I grew up in a small town 45 minutes away from Grand Forks, and have known I wanted to attend college here since a young age”

Future plans and goals if elected – “My goal is to be a strong voice for all of those in COBPA, helping to bring about changes that better the lives of our students, and the overall experience for all at the University of North Dakota.

Name: John Arman

Major: Marketing

Purpose – “I am running for the Senatorial position of the College of Business and Public Administration because I believe my experience and involvement within the college allows me to be an advocate for all students. I want to increase my involvement for the betterment of our students and faculty.”

Future goals and plans if elected –  “If elected I would like to add a sales emphasis or a sales minor. I would like to Develop a stronger connection between CoBPA students and faculty with more lectureship events: Eye of the Hawk, Morrison Summit,  Hultberg Series. I would also like to emphasize our career development and leadership resources so it’s accessible to all students”

Name: Trevor Weiland

Position: Education and Human Development

Major: Elementary Education

Minors: Special education and psychology

Purpose – “I am running for this position to represent the individuals in the College of Education and Human Development. I want to ensure decisions are made to benefit students and for our voices to be heard.”

Future plans and goals if elected – “I hope to be the voice for students, increase transparency, and advocate for UND students within surrounding school districts. I want to help build One Campus together.”

Meghan Osowski – Running for Education and Human Development Senate seat

Name: Conrad Pederson

Major: Social Studies Education with a minor in Norwegian

Purpose – “UND students deserve to be both more aware of and included in the administrative decisions that affect them. I am running for student senate to help bridge the gap between students and administration and to bring more fun events to campus”

Future plans and goals if elected – “I would like to accomplish a lively atmosphere by working to bring more student-centered events to campus and to continue strengthening the relationship between the university and city”

Name: Anthony Mussehl

Position: Engineering and Mines

Major: Electrical Engineering

Purpose – “As an Off-campus Senator for Student Government I sponsored and supported bills and resolutions for the Engineering students here at UND. I would like to take this experience and apply it as the Engineering and Mines Senator to benefit the department for many years to come.”

Future plans and goals if elected – “Open Educational Resources for math classes past Calculus 3 like Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, continuing Student Government support for a girl’s bathroom on the 3rd floor of Harrington, increasing communication between Professors and students with updates for due dates/tests/finals through a calendar on the front page of blackboard. “

Name: Jessica Devillers

Position: Engineering and Mines

Major: Chemical Engineering

Purpose – “I am running for this position because I have noticed that the curriculum for the CEM is out of date and very prescribed. This makes it difficult for students to be innovative, even though there is currently a huge push for innovation within the college.

Future plans and goals if elected – “I want to push for the curriculum to be updated so that it better reflects the needs of the students instead of only focusing on the needs of local industry. Furthermore, I want to advocate for a wider variety of electives which will allow students to personalize their college experience by taking classes that interest them. Lastly, I would like to bridge the divide between the extensive network of organizations within the college by arranging more opportunities for collaboration between them.”

Name: Meaghan Wolfgram

Position: Medicine and Health Science

Major: Occupational Therapy

Minors: Mathematics and psychology

Purpose – “I think what I would be the best person for this position based on my communication skills, my ability to listen to others, and advocate for our wants and needs at the school of medicine. We are a goal driven group of individuals that are pretty segregated from the rest of campus, but with the best representative in this position, I believe this gap of segregation could be closed and our wants and needs will be brought to light through one voice and to the rest of the student government committee.”

Name: Stefan Monteferrante

Position: Aerospace Sciences

Major: Commercial Aviation

Purpose – “I am running for the Aerospace Senator position because I believe in the Aerospace College and what it offers to students. However, I would like to see a stronger integration between the Aerospace College and the rest of UND and for the voice of Aerospace to be better recognized throughout campus.”

Name: Zach Dabrowski

Position: Aerospace Sciences

Major: Commercial Aviation

Purpose – “I am running for the Aerospace Sciences Senator position because I want to make sure that all Aerospace Science students are well represented in Student Government. I am currently an Off-Campus Senator, Student Aviation Advisory Council member, and on the Executive team of my Fraternity, therefore, I have a lot of experience being on committees and representing students so I believe that I would the best Senator for all Aerospace Science’s students

Future plans and goals if elected –  “I am running for the Aerospace Sciences Senator position because I want to make sure that all Aerospace Science students are well represented in Student Government. I am currently an Off-Campus Senator, Student Aviation Advisory Council member, and on the Executive team of my Fraternity, therefore, I have a lot of experience being on committees and representing students so I believe that I would the best Senator for all Aerospace Science’s students.”