Campus Briefs

UND alumnus namded Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Star

Great Plains Super Lawyers  named Charles G. DeMakis as a “Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Star”.

According to their website, “Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement”.

Only the top 2.5 percent of lawyers in North Dakota under the age of 40 are given the privilege of being named a “Great Plains Super Lawyer Rising Star.”

Super Lawyers Rising Stars are selected by nomination from peer or research by Super Lawyers.

Each candidate is then evaluated by Super Lawyers based upon its “12 indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement.”

Terrence Roberts to visit UND campus

One of the famous “Little Rock Nine”, Terrence Roberts, will be visiting UND.

In Little Rock, Ark. during the civil rights movement,  the “Little Rock Nine” were  high school students who stood up to racism and went to a school that was formerly a “white school” after the U.S. Supreme Court decided segregating schools was unconstitutional. However, their attendance at the formerly whites-only school was protested by many who did not acknowledge the U.S. Supreme Court ruling.

Roberts will be coming Monday, Sept. 23, from 2 to 3 p.m. in Room 113 in the Education Building.  A reception will be held after the talk.