Remembering Professor Rendahl

Timothy Pasch performs a musical tribute at Stephen Rendahl’s memorial service this past Monday. Photo by Nick Nelson/ The Dakota Student

A memorial service was held at the Gorecki Alumni Center for former UND associate professor of communications Stephen Rendahl this past Monday.

Rendahl passed away July at 71 from post-surgery complications. Dr. Rendahl’s close family, friends, colleagues and former students attended the memorial and several of Rendahl’s paintings were displayed at the memorial.

Kristi Rendahl, Rendahl’s niece, performed musical tributes on both piano and guitar. Timothy Pasch, associate professor and chairman of the Communication Program, also performed a musical tribute.

Richard Shafer, a professor of UND’s Communication program and a close friend of Rendahl, served as master of ceremonies for the event. The service opened with a moment of silence and remembrance requested by Shafer. He spoke about Rendahl, remembering meeting him for the first time.

“He picked me up in his dirty pickup truck at the airport for an interview, and I thought, ‘Well maybe I belong here,” Shafer said.

Following Shafer, Brenda Rendahl, his daughter, spoke about memories of growing, traveling, and learning with her father.

“There was always something to learn on every trip. No matter where he went, there was history. And Dad had to learn about it.”she said

Next, Kristi Rendahl, spoke briefly on behalf of Robin Rendahl, Stephen’s wife. She described Stephen as an “original do-it-yourself-guy.” She said he would often work on projects and fix things around his house, refusing to ask for help unless absolutely necessary. She also said he loved horses and often searched for horse paintings or horse stamps while he traveled.

She then performed musical tributes with songs such as “One of these Days” by Neil Young on guitar and “Anthem” by Leonard Cohen on piano.

Mark Huglen, a professor of communication at University of Minnesota-Crookston and friend, spoke briefly about his memories of him. He recalled, when working on his thesis as a graduate student at UND, Rendahl had gone out of his way to help him, saying, “What kind of a professor would do that? A very inspirational professor. Somebody who cares.”

UND communication professor Richard Fiordo spoke about his experience with Rendahl as well. He remembered his time working with Rendahl, saying “He was very fond of celebrating students and their accomplishments.”

David Kiefel, a student advisor at UND, said, “[Rendahl] was all about the students and doing it right. He was a colleague, he was a mentor, but most of all, he was a very good friend.”

Following Kiefel, Pasch announced a new scholarship for undergraduates studying communications.

Pasch said “With a lead gift from Robin [Rendahl], we are honored to announce the establishment of the Stephen E. Rendahl Memorial Scholarship Endowment, and we are incredibly grateful for any contribution you can make to build into perpetuity this important endowment. The scholarship will provide financial support for students and as importantly serve to recognize Steve’s legacy and commitment to the communication program and the University that he so loved.”

The scholarship will be awarded for the first time at this year’s communication spring banquet. Pasch then performed a musical tribute, ‘Bridge Over Troubled Water’ by Simon and Garfunkel. To conclude the service, Rich Macfarlane, a former student of Rendahl’s, spoke and described him as “genuine” and “always very kind.”

Rendahl joined the UND faculty in 1974. He taught at UND for 41 years as well as in Norway, China, Romania and lectured in South Africa, Malaysia, the Philippines, China, and Kyrgyzstan. He focused on peace journalism and cross-cultural communication during his time as a professor, according to UND.

The memorial was truly a reflection of the positive legacy Rendahl had in the Grand Forks and UND community.

Elliot Golden is a news reporter for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected]