Hawks Make Statement in Rout of Bengals

UND freshman Adam McDermott sinks a three-point shot past Idaho State’s Evann Hall during Thursday’s game at the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center. Photo by Nick Nelson/ The Dakota Student

UND freshman Adam McDermott sinks a three-point shot past Idaho State’s Evann Hall during Thursday’s game at the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center. Photo by Nick Nelson/ The Dakota Student

Idaho State came into Grand Forks Thursday night on a four-game win streak and was one of the hottest teams in the Big Sky Conference.

No one told the Hawks that, though.

Thursday night became a statement for the UND men’s basketball team, as the Fighting Hawks routed the Bengals 76-60 and made it clear that they are a team to reckon with in the Big Sky.

Early in the game, UND made it apparent that the Bengals were not going to get any easy shots. The Hawks smothered Idaho State shooters, took away their airspace and limited the Bengals to 21 percent shooting in the first half.

While the Hawks finished the first half up 34-24, they still had their share of problems. Overall, the team shot 38.7% from the floor and turned the ball over seven different times.

The difference though in the first half, and the game in general, was Adam McDermott and Quinton Hooker.

In the first half, McDermott had 16 points and was on fire from three-point range.

Other than some sloppy play, it appeared UND was in control in the first half but the Hawks were not satisfied.

The Hawks throttled the Bengals in the second half.

Hooker was quiet scoring the ball in the first half, but finished strong in the second, notching a triple-double with 13 points, 12 rounds and 10 assists.

McDermott also continued his hot night, scoring an extra 12 points in the second and finishing the evening with 28 points.

What’s more impressive is the fact that the freshman had eight three-point baskets over the course of the night compared to Idaho State, who as a team only made seven three-point shots.

While McDermott and Hooker may get the headlines, Drick Bernstine also had a great evening. The sophomore notched a double-double with 12 points and 14 rebounds.

The defensive intensity continued in the second half as UND forced Idaho State to take desperate three-point shots and locked down the paint, with the Hawks finishing the night with seven blocks.

Overall, the Hawks performed extremely well as a team and got the job done against a tough Idaho State.

In the preseason, the Hawks were ranked at No. 8 in the Big Sky Conference. UND now sits at No. 3 in the conference and will look to improve on that record against Weber State this Saturday at 2 p.m. at the Betty.

Alex Stadnik is the sports editor for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected]