Swimming wins weekend event

Men’s and Women’s teams start season strong

Both the men’s and women’s swim team got off to a hot start this season, winning both of their respective events this weekend.

“We’re pretty happy with how we did,” UND swimming and diving coach Chris Maiello said. “We put some people in some tough spots, mainly freshmen and seniors and they responded.”

Both squads hosted St. Cloud State University while the women also had Minnesota State Moorhead in town.

It was easy pickings for the men’s team over the Huskies as they defeated St. Cloud 218-159. It was a well-paced meet as UND went on to win in multiple events including an impressive performance with freshman Jacob Wielinski touching the wall first in four events including the 500 yard freestyle, 200 and 400 yard individual medley and the 1650 yard freestyle.

In the relay department, the Green and White took home first and second in the 400 medley relay, as well with victories in the 200 yard freestyle relay, 200 medley relay and                              the 800 free relay.

The women’s side put together a great performance as well, taking care of business with a winning score of 1858. SCSU finished second with 1117 while MSUM finished last with 889.

Distance freestyle was the key factor in the domination by UND, with a 1-2-3 finish in the 500 yard freestyle, the 200 free, and the 1650 free which were all won by senior Gabi Liedy. UND also secured victories in multiple events such as the 200 individual medley, the 100 yard breaststroke, 100 freestyle and the 50 freestyle.

The ladies also got help from their relays, clocking the fastest times in the 400 medley relay, the 200 medley relay, the 800 free relay and the 400 free relay.

There was also plenty of minimum splash for UND diving, as freshman Ariana Brace and Megan Seehusen going 1-2 in one-meter diving while Brace took home the three-meter while Seehusen placed third. Sam Howard also won three-meter for the men, while Clayton Metcalf secured the top score in one-meter diving.

UND looks to two weeks of practices to prepare for another home meet against South Dakota State on Oct. 17th.

Jack Harvey is a sports writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected]