Evers lives her dream

UND women’s basketball senior participates in ProHoops Combine

Senior Emily Evers plays for the Green and White earlier this season. Photo by Nick Nelson/The Dakota Student.

Not many people get to live out their dream.

The basketball season may be over, but Emily Evers is still in a dream state.

A native of Grand Forks, she was put in basketball at very young age and, for her, was the right call.

“When I was a kid, my parents put me in it and it stuck,” Evers said.

After playing at Red River High School, she decided to take her talents up a notch to Division I basketball.

She chose UND, her hometown team.

“It was a dream come true,” she said. “I knew from first minute at a UND game that’s where I wanted to be.”

After redshirting her freshman year, Evers emerged off the bench and received the Great West Conference Sixth Woman Award. She was one of eight players to play in all 32 games, and also the only player to score in every game.

Her strong first season didn’t go unnoticed, as she played 27 games and started 21 her sophomore season. She went on to lead the team in blocks and was third in the Big Sky Conference in field goal percentage.

Her junior year was one for the ages.

Not only did she receive Big Sky Conference co-Sixth Woman of the Year and played in every game, she, along with the rest of the team, fulfilled a dream she had since she was shooting hoops in her driveway — a berth to the NCAA basketball tournament.

Evers said her trip to March Madness was unforgettable.

“Amazing,” Evers said. “It was a dream come true. Every kid dreams of going to the big dance.”

Following a successful junior year, Evers continued her success for the Green and White by having yet another work horse season. There was no senior slide for her as she started 28 games while playing 30. Not only did she perform night in and night out, she also put up career numbers and game bests against Colorado in November recording 21 points and 17 rebounds.

Evers attributes her abilities to where she grew up.

“It was really helpful,” she said. “I was close to my family, and a community who has known me and supported me for a long time.”

After finishing her collegiate career with more than 1,000 points and 750 rebounds, Evers was given a call to participate in a ProHoops Combine in Florida a few weeks ago. Pro scouts and other officials were there to evaluate players prior to the draft and free agent signing.

Evers plans to graduate this spring with a degree in marketing. While she’s still pondering her future, she hopes to stay near her roots.

“I’m keeping my options open, I plan on staying close to UND,” she said.

Whatever the case might be, there is one thing that is certain.

Emily Evers has lived her dream.

Jack Harvey is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected].