UND sinks in home opener

Soccer team loses first home game of the season for first time in three years

UND sophomore Kristin Olson battles a Creighton University player at Bronson Field on Friday afternoon. Photo by Jennifer Friese/The Dakota Student.

Friday’s 3-1 loss to Creighton was not the start the UND women’s soccer team was looking for on its home field.

But the Green and White rebounded from a one-goal deficit Sunday afternoon and ended with a 1-1 tie when it faced Northern Iowa in its second game of the weekend at Bronson Field.

The visitors got on the board first, but UND freshman Emily Smithson tallied her first career goal in a green and white jersey.

The teams battled into overtime — the end result remaining a draw.

It wasn’t a victory, but it built on what quickly became a disappointing game on Friday.

Despite strong defensive efforts, a string of miscues and lack of offense doomed North Dakota in a 3-1 loss in its first home game against Creighton University.

The team was 11-4 all-time in home openers and had not lost its first home game in the past three years.

UND held the game scoreless until minute 31 of play, when CU’s Madelyn Buckner scored on a penalty kick. At the 37-minute mark, an error lead to another CU goal when a UND defender headed a kick into its own goal. CU added one more goal in the 47th minute.

CU edged UND in shots, 38-10, and controlled the game with 21 shots on goal over North Dakota’s one.

One of the bright spots of the game was goalie Kristi Hestdalen and her record-setting 18 saves.

UND goalkeeper Ashley Salberg previously held the record, with 17 saves in 2002 against Omaha.

UND’s defense was impressive, only giving up three goals to a Creighton team that was averaging four goals a game. North Dakota only returned four defensemen from last season, and added five freshmen to play on the backline.

Despite the loss, coach Matt Kellogg showed optimism after the game.

“I think Creighton deserved that third goal — on their part it was a great play,” Kellogg said. “We gave up a penalty kick. The ball takes a bad bounce and jumps up and hits Abbey (Welle’s) hand inside the box. Not much you can do about that.”

Last year, UND went 2-16-1, due in part to a lack of an offensive presence. The team posted .79 goals scored per game last year and an average of seven shots per game.

UND’s Zoe Foster has returned for her sophomore year after leading the team last season with four goals and 23 shots.

The team may be young, but Kellogg sees much room for growth. North Dakota’s next action will take place Friday in Vermillion against the University of South Dakota.

“I was pretty happy,” Kellogg said. “I felt like we created some chances against Creighton. Creighton is undefeated. They’re a good team, hats off to them. Last year we lost to Creighton 6-0 and we really didn’t stand a chance in that game. So what we can take away from today is that this program has improved immensely.”

Kyle Beauchamp is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected].