Wide range of activities scheduled for summer

Melting snow allows city to prepare venues, entertainment ton ensure summer fun

Just as spring has finally arrived, students look forward to an event-filled summer in Grand Forks.

Whether students are excited to be outdoors, listen to live music, try new foods or participate in the local art scene, Grand Forks offers a wide range of activities to fulfill these desires at reasonable prices.

Ray Richards Golf Course offers great greens at a great price, complete with a driving range for all UND students to utilize. Weekday rates cost $12 for 9 holes and $18 for 24 holes. Season passes  cost $263.

Starting May 2 and going through the summer, the River Cities Speedway holds Friday Night Races. The River Cities Speedway is a one-third mile dirt track that advertises itself as the “Most Action Packed Race Track on the Planet,” and has concessions for spectators to enjoy. Gates are open until 6:30 p.m., and the races will often go until 11 or later. Tickets cost $18 at the gate, but you can get them for only $15 by purchasing them in advance at Home of Economy, University Station, Gateway Cenex, StaMart, El Roco Bottle Shop or Tesoro East.

Every Saturday starting in June and going through September, an outdoor farmers market is held in the town square — on the corner of Demers Ave and Third Street. The farmers market starts at 9:00 a.m. and goes until 2:00 p.m., and will feature live entertainment and concessions.

In early June, the Elks Pool and Riverside Pool will open for the public to enjoy.

For only $3, the pools offer a place to bask in the sun and play in the water. They open at noon on weekdays, 1 p.m. on weekends and close at 8:30 every night.

The 2014 Grand Cities Art Fest in downtown Grand Forks and East Grand Forks is scheduled for June 14 and 15. Observe and shop for local art while being entertained by live music. Concessions also will be available.

On June 14 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the University Lutheran Church, a rhubarb festival will be going on. Enjoy homemade rhubarb desserts, live entertainment and contests.

From June 25 to 29, the Greater Grand Forks County Fair will be at the fairgrounds near the River Cities Speedway, complete with a variety of food, live entertainment, rides, a petting zoo and other special events. The fair will open at 5 p.m. on Wednesday and go through Sunday at 6 p.m. Admission is $5.

On July 4, Grand Forks will celebrate Independence Day with food, a parade, live entertainment and a fireworks show over the Red River.

Adele Kieger is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].