The Chester Fritz Library Hosts a Dino Hunt

Quindelynne Davis

As of March 20, the Chester Fritz Library became a proverbial dinosaur dig site thanks to the efforts of the library’s outreach team, Rebecca Brown and Zeineb Yousif. The complete skeletal “fossils” in question are approximately two inches tall and made of plastic. With multiple species of dinosaurs being represented, they are enough to elicit anyone’s inner child. Brown and Yousif have hidden 30 of these little figures throughout every floor of the library, guaranteeing at least seven per floor. If the potential of finding a tiny dinosaur during a study session was not exciting enough, seven of them are tagged with a QR code indicating that the finder is entitled to a prize. Six of the prizes are 3D wooden dinosaur puzzles, and the grand prize is a Tyrannosaurus Rex skull Lego set.  

Brown explained that the dinosaur hunt is a two-fold endeavor. Foremost, it is an effort to promote an upcoming Randy Rassmussen Memorial Lecture presented by Dr. Paul Ullmann on April 3, which is consequently the final day of the hunt. Secondly, it is a part of a larger initiative to create a more welcoming and fun environment in the Chester Fritz Library.   

Dr. Paul Ullmann is an assistant professor in UND’s Geology Department who specializes in taphonomy, the study of how organic remains become fossilized. As a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow, he received his doctorate at Drexel University and has published numerous articles in his field. His recent transfer to UND was a major boon for the Geology Department, as his classes have expanded the paleontological opportunities the university can offer.   

“Having just come to UND last August, I am looking forward to the Rasmussen lecture as an opportunity to formally introduce myself to not only students and staff across campus, but also the Greater Grand Forks community more broadly,” Dr. Ullman replied when asked about his hopes for the lecture.   

“I am also eager to share my passion for fossils and dinosaurs and see this as a wonderful opportunity to promote the School of Geology at UND, where we are now building a Paleontology Concentration into the Bachelors of Science in Geology degree,” he said.  

This is big news for anyone who, like Dr. Ullmann, finds dinosaurs “still just as fun as when he was three years old.” The professor also highlighted a brand-new entry-level course he will be debuting in the Fall 2024 semester called, “GEOL 112 Discovering Dinosaurs.” The course will have no prerequisites, and it will satisfy Essential Studies requirements, making it the perfect course for anyone interested in dipping their toes in paleontology.   

His lecture will be held in room 406 of the Chester Fritz Library at 6:30 p.m. All are welcome, and food and refreshments will be served.  

The second motivation behind the dinosaur hunt is an initiative that has been underway for a while, according to Brown.   

“A lot of students only come to the library for serious study, which is totally fine,” Brown explained. “We are just trying to encourage students to reclaim the library as their own space to hang out in, and the dean says she wants this place to be the number one pizza delivery spot in town.”   

The Dean of Libraries and Information Resources at UND is none other than Rebecca Bichel, a recent 18:83 Speaker Series presenter. Bichel served in the same position at the University of Texas, Arlington before arriving in North Dakota a year ago and has 25 years of experience as an academic librarian. She and her team have resolved to foster a more welcoming environment in the library, which, Brown says, has seen fewer numbers of students in recent years.   

Brown cited the pandemic and the construction of the Memorial Union both as causes for the dip. Students may feel the library is too sacred for casual and/or group study sessions, but Brown and her colleagues assure that students need not feel this way. “We’re not those scary old librarians who shush you aggressively,” she laughed.  

The seriousness displayed by those studying in the Chester Fritz is at the very least a testament to the good manners of UND’s students, but the library staff enthusiastically assures us that socializing and having fun in the library is not against any rules. So, if you stop by the library this week and see a certain student journalist looking for tiny dinosaurs and eating pizza, do not be surprised. 

Quindelynne Davis is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected]