UND Splits Road Games

Unsplash Images

The University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks women’s basketball team has struggled to find a consistent competitive level this season. They split their two road games, defeating the University of Nebraska Omaha 83-81 and falling to the University of Missouri Kansas City 86-71 on Feb. 8 and 10, respectively.  

UND previously defeated Omaha and Kansas City at the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center, even putting up 100 points against Omaha. However, Thursday’s matchup was not as explosive in UND’s favor.  

In the previous week’s games against the University of South Dakota and North Dakota State University, UND made steps forward defensively but struggled to generate offense.  

In Thursday’s game against Omaha, UND scored 22 points to Omaha’s 16 in the first quarter. Then, Omaha went on an 11-point scoring streak to start the second quarter, but UND was able to rally back, scoring 27 points to outscore Omaha 27-22. The Hawks had a 49-38-point lead going into the second half of the game. In that second quarter, UND shot 75% from the field.  

UND struggled in the third quarter, shooting 2-9 from the field and making 5 of their 10 free throw attempts; they did not even register a three-point attempt. The Hawks were outscored 26-9 in that quarter, giving Omaha the lead going into the final quarter.  

In the fourth quarter, UND was able to claw back from their six-point deficit to tie the game and then regain the lead. UND shot 66.67% from the field and 33.33% from the three. They also improved on the free throw line, making 4 of 6 free throw attempts.  

It was also a game of great offensive performances by individual players. Mikayla Aumer tied her personal best in points, scoring 15. Kacie Borowicz registered 18 points, making this her 14th straight game where she has scored in the double digits. Kiera Pemberton also scored 18 points, another standout game for the freshman.  

The game against Kansas City was a struggle from the beginning. UMKC scored 13 unanswered points to start the game and continued their hot streak, scoring 68.75% from the field and 66.67% from the three. Meanwhile, UND was shooting 33.33% from the field and 20% from the three. The first quarter ended with UMKC up 25-11.  

UND would try to battle back for the rest of the game but could not overcome the first-period deficit, something that UND also struggled with in their game against NDSU on Feb. 3. Even though they scored the same amount as Kansas City in the second quarter, they still could not overcome the initial 13-0 lead.  

Despite the overall struggles on offense, it was another dominant game for Borowicz. She continued her double-digit scoring streak, registering 25 points. It was the 11th time she had scored over 20 points this season. She also made four three-pointers, which is a new season high for UND.  

The Fighting Hawks will return to the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center on Feb. 15 and 17 to face off against Denver and Oral Roberts, respectively.  

Maeve Hushman is a Dakota Student Sports Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected].