Best Books for January

Processed with VSCO with al3 preset

As the new semester begins and schoolwork piles up, it can be difficult to remember to participate in exciting activities that are not school related. For some, this may be a hobby, sport, or other outlet, but this year, I am trying to increase the number of books I read. Reading content that you enjoy can function as a great source of education, creative thinking, and stress relief. Throughout the month of January, I have found a few books that have sparked my interest. Whether new or old, each book that I have encountered has allowed me to take a step back from other work and relax and enter a new world. 

The well renowned music streaming platform, Spotify, has recently released a feature that allows Premium subscribers to listen up to 15 hours of audiobook per month. This feature proved itself extremely helpful, as I was able to start the book The Silent Patient, on my way back from break. This book, though not extremely new, is trending everywhere. Alicia Berenson, a famous photographer, shoots her husband seemingly out of nowhere. The novel finds Alicia under the lens of Theo Faber, a psychoanalyst, who begins questioning bits of his life in the search for Alicia’s truth. Though I have not yet completed this audiobook, I plan to do so throughout the rest of the month. 

While the new year may bring new, trending reads, I have found myself reading a few of my own books for the second or third time. One of my all-time favorites is 11/22/63 by Steven King. Though it is a bit of a longer read, King carefully crafts the plot to make one of the most interesting books I have ever read.  11/22/63 follows the life of Jake Epping, a regular high school teacher, that finds a way back to 1963 where he must stop the assassination of John F. Kennedy. This is my favorite book to date, and yet again made its way into my hands as I found some downtime over break.  

Other trending novels this month include Mercury by Amy Jo Burns, The Book of Fire by Christy Lefteri, and Anna O by Matthew Blake. These novels have earned their status in PEOPLE’s Magazine and are just some that are critically acclaimed. As previously mentioned, Spotify has now paved the way for audiobooks. This is a great alternative to music in the car, especially on long drives. In addition to helping with long drives, books can be a great substitute for checking social media. Social media can be highly addictive, chewing up many hours of the day, and oftentimes not yielding any substantial benefits. Reading can open your mind to think creatively, while also increasing your reading levels. This is vital for intelligent brain function, and I tend to find it much more fulfilling than social media.  

Throughout January, I encourage you to rely on an exciting and fun outlet. Whether it is a sport, a new workout, food, or book, it is important to find alternatives to schoolwork that create joy and relaxation. By picking out a January book from the ones that I listed, or a different one, you can open doors to something new, while also participating in an activity that is excellent for you.  

Sadie Blace is a Dakota Student Section Editor. She can be reached at [email protected].