Men’s Basketball Keeps Rolling

Processed with VSCO with m5 preset

UND men’s basketball hosted the Concordia Cobbers, a division III program, this past Tuesday in another early season matchup to get ready for the bulk of its schedule. 

The Fighting Hawks struggled to start the game, only leading the Cobbers 20-15 halfway through the first half.  

Through those struggles, BJ Omot (So.) was able to put the Hawks on his back, scoring 12 consecutive points for the green and white. 

Near the end of the first half, UND was able to create some separation from Concordia, reaching a double-digit lead for the first time in the game. The Hawks led 41-30 at halftime. 

Looking to pull away in the second half, the Hawks let up a 6-0 run to the Cobbers, and all of a sudden it was a five-point game again.  

UND went on a run of its own, scoring nine straight points from four different players, featuring a BJ Omot triple. 

The Hawks were able to keep Concordia at a distance, garnering a 54-38 lead.  

The Cobbers wouldn’t go down without a fight, however, going on an 8-0 run to cut the lead in half. 

After letting their foot off the gas, UND was determined to put the game away, and they would. Following a Tsotne Tsartsidze (5th) layup, the Hawks wouldn’t let the Cobbers within single digits again.  

The Hawks outscored the Cobbers 46-26 in the second half. 

UND went on to win the game convincingly, with the final at 87-56. 87 points is the second most points the Hawks have scored this season. 

With the win, the Fighting Hawks are off to their best start since entering NCAA Division I, going 6-1 to start the season. 

BJ Omot led the Hawks in scoring, putting up 21 points on 9/17 shooting. Omot blocked three shots on the defensive end. 

Treysen Eaglestaff added 11 points, going 5/16 from the field and 1/9 from deep. 

Amar Kuljuhovic was inserted into the starting lineup for the second consecutive game, notching a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.  

Deng Mayar provided 11 points off the bench, snagging seven rebounds and blocking two shots. 

Brady Danielson was also in double figures off the bench, adding 10 points and eight rebounds. 

UND’s next home game will be December 9th in the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center at 1:00 pm against the Portland Pilots.   

Garrett Webber is a Dakota Student General Reporter. He can be reached at [email protected]