‘Floodwall’ Launch Event 

Aubrey Roemmich, Reporter

On December 8th, UND’s student run literary magazine Floodwall launched its 6th issue of its second volume. The Floodwall team, its authors and supportive members of UND’s writing community, got together for a celebratory reading featuring student authors who have been published in the recent issue.  

Dr. Patrick Henry, the faculty advisor for the magazine, introduced the event while Myra Henderson, the managing editor, emceed. While all Floodwall launches have been exciting, this one was extra special because it was the first in person launch to happen since the pandemic. It will also be the last launch in the Merrifield building before it is closed for renovations starting in spring of 2023. During the launch, the cover of the issue was revealed, and we heard readings from all three sections of the magazine.  

Emilia Adkinson, a senior majoring in English and one of Floodwall’s published poets and photographers, read her poem “Conversation with Life” at the event. She also took the photo that is being used as the official cover photo of this issue. “I loved the floodwall event! I was nervous to read my poem, but the atmosphere was just so inviting and supportive,” Adkinson said. “I did not expect for my picture to be chosen as the cover for this issue, and I am extremely grateful to the whole team and staff that produces Floodwall and puts so much time and energy into making it an accepting environment for all students.” Readings like these give student authors a chance to share the work they are most proud of and interact with other authors in the community.  

The Floodwall Literary Magazine was originally founded in 2012 by a group of graduate students. After five issues, the magazine went on a hiatus and was revived in the spring of 2020. Now the magazine strives to support and publish UND’s student authors. Floodwall publishes short fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, and art & photography. The magazine is published digitally and can be accessed offline by downloading a fully searchable pdf. All previous issues and volumes are also available at und.edu/floodwall. 

Under the guidance of Dr. Henry, this magazine is a totally student run organization. From the authors to the copyeditors, student volunteers do all the work on each issue. Floodwall publishes an issue a semester and is always looking for volunteers. Individuals can volunteer for reading boards where they get to read submissions and help section editors decide what to publish. Students can also volunteer to copyedit pieces that have been accepted for publication. Floodwall is currently closed for submission until the Spring of 2023, but you can keep up to date with their activities on their Instagram page. 

The launch event was the perfect way for the writing community to say a final farewell to their beloved Merrifield Hall. While there is excitement about the upcoming renovations, there will always be a bittersweet longing for purple classrooms, overstuffed armchairs, and Merrifield’s devout book-reading gargoyles. 

Aubrey Roemmich is a Dakota Student Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected].