Homecoming Week at UND 

September 27 – October 1 

Victoria Ledum, Website Editor

Football has made its glorious return to Grand Forks, which means UND homecoming is fast-approaching. If you have never attended homecoming events, or a homecoming game, get ready for school spirit and seas of green like you have never seen before. This year’s homecoming will take place September 27th through October 1st.  

The University of North Dakota first held a homecoming in 1916, over 100 years ago, and throughout the century of festivities, UND homecoming has experienced incredible growth. In 2022, homecoming week is chock-full of fun. There are thirty events ranging from volunteer opportunities, social hours, and of course, Fighting Hawks games.  

Tuesday, September 27th  

Start off homecoming week by giving back at the Homecoming Blood Drive. The Alumni Association has partnered with Dak-Minn Blood Bank for this annual event hosted at the UND Wellness Center.  

In the evening head over to University Park for the first ever Greek Carnival. The park will be transformed into a carnival with games, food trucks, and face painting. Purchase tickets, a punch card, or a wristband to play some classic carnival games. All the proceeds from the event will be donated to Make-A-Wish ND! 

The fun does not stop there, so after the carnival make your way towards the Betty for UND Volleyball vs South Dakota State University. Volleyball games are free for students, claim your ticket at https://am.ticketmaster.com/undstudent/ 

Wednesday, September 28th 

The Fighting Hawks spirit cannot be contained in just one day. During day two, the momentum grows, and the fun is just getting started. In the afternoon, join UND for Hawks Hour at Bonzer’s Sandwich Pub downtown from 4:30 – 6:30 pm.  

Then take a quick walk to Town Square for the first-ever town square pep rally. The event is sure to be exceptional with yard games, a DJ, Pride of the North Band, and special guests.  

Thursday, September 29th 

Usually Thursdays are full of dread and anticipation for Friday, but during homecoming week, Thursday is more than just the day before Friday. Recipients of the Sioux Award for Achievement & Leadership will be honored at a banquet in the Alerus on Thursday evening, following a social hour at 5:30.  

At 7:00 there is yet another chance to watch UND spike, bump, pass, and serve up some good ol’ fashioned Fighting Hawks victory during the UND Volleyball vs Kansas City game. Also, do not forget, volleyball games are free for students and always worth a watch.  

Friday, September 30th 

Friday is full of events for any and everybody on campus, and everybody on campus will be rocking kelly green for UND Spirit Day!  

In the morning, celebrate the grand opening and watch the ribbon cutting of the new Nistler College of Business & Public Administration building at 11:00 am. If you have not checked out the new building now is your chance to get a sneak peek at the impressive and innovative facility.  

If you need lunch plans, check out the UND Fan Luncheon at the Ralph and enjoy some good food with the company of university coaches and athletes.  

Then check out UND Soccer vs Western Illinois at 3:00 pm on Bronson Field, the game is free to students and sure to impress. 

Friday evening is full of social events for several different majors and colleges on campus, and the UND Athletics Hall of Fame banquet in the Alerus. 

Saturday, October 1st 

Saturday is the big day; the finale of homecoming week will be a perfect culmination of the week’s events and an excellent demonstration of the school’s spirit. 

Rise and shine Saturday morning to watch the UND Homecoming Parade. Beautiful floats with loads of candy, UND’s spirit squad, and the band will be marching down University Ave.  

Once you have got your fill of candy after the parade, head over to the Alerus Center to join in the tailgate fun. Then join the screaming fans inside to watch UND Football battle Missouri State at 12:00 PM. 

If you are more into sports on skates, do not fret. Saturday evening catch the UND Hockey exhibition game vs Manitoba in the Ralph at 6:07 pm. Brush up on your favorite cheers and break out the jerseys because hockey is taken seriously in these parts. 

Homecoming week is sure to be a spirited and incomparable experience on campus. Do not miss out on the fun. Find a complete schedule and more details at https://undalumni.org/alumni-homecoming-events 

Keep reading the Dakota Student to stay aware of all the events, changes, and news on campus. 

Victoria Ledum is a Dakota Student Website Editor. She can be reached at [email protected].