Upcoming UND Events to “Destress” Before Finals

Dominique Menard, News Editor

As the 2021-2022 school year begins to wind down, there are many events and opportunities taking place around campus that will help students “destress” before finals. When conversing with students from across campus, many were unaware of the varying opportunities that UND is providing over the next few weeks. Although not comprehensive, here are some of the events happening:   

Finals Week Voucher 

Student Government/Student Involvement are sponsoring “fun” during the last week of the semester! Enjoy free laser tag and trampoline jumping at Northern Air, pizza from Boss’ Chicken and Pizza, a yoga class from Zen River Yoga, and $7 to the Express Convenience Store at the Memorial Union. Vouchers are available at Student Involvement/Student Government office in the Union starting Monday, May 2. Vouchers are valid for use Friday May 6th-Friday, May 13th only. 

Kpop & Snacks  

May is Asian American, Pacific Islander, and Desi American Heritage month! Student Diversity and Inclusion will be putting on an event in the Memorial Union (Room 201) with Kpop music, dancing, and snacks! This event is taking place Monday, May 2nd from 11am to 1pm. 

Harry Potter Trivia 

“I solemnly swear that I am up to no good” at Harry Potter Trivia! Join Student Life and test your knowledge at Harry Potter Trivia in the Memorial Union on Monday, May 2nd at 7pm. Student IDs will be required. 

The Outpost  

Looking for something to do outside this spring? In the month of May, the Outpost (located within UND’s Wellness Center) is giving a 50% discount on all lawn fame rentals. Options for rentals include bean bag toss, spikeball, badminton, and more! VisitUND.edu/Outpost to learn more and to see what is available. 

Guerilla Girls “Art of Behaving Badly” Exhibition  

Currently, in the Art Gallery within the Memorial Union, the UND Department of Art and Design is displacing provocative posters, videos, and publications by the Guerilla Girls that exposes discrimination and corruption in the institutional art world. The exhibit is free and open to the public Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm till July 15th. For more information on the exhibit, the Department of Art and Design will have a lecture on the exhibit on May 6th from 3:30pm-5pm. The presenter, Nicole Derenne, will introduce the Guerilla Girls, a brief description of what was happening in the 80s art scene that spurred Guerilla Girls to form, and the Guerilla Girls’ impact today. The lecture will be in room 214B in the Memorial Union. 

Destress Fest 

On Wednesday, May 4, go to UND’s Wellness Center to destress before finals! Many resources will be provided including peer educators, Student Involvement, Student Health Services, the University Counseling Center, CVIC @ UND, and therapy dogs! Grab-and-go snacks, DIY stress balls, KAHOOT trivia and prizes, and music will also be at the event. This will be in the Wellness Center, rooms 120 and 121, from 3pm-5:30pm. 

Wellness Group Exercise Class  

The UND Wellness Center offers several different group exercise classes during the week to students free of charge. Some of the classes offered at the wellness center include yoga, spin classes, HIIT, kickboxing, ZUMBA, cardio dance, cardio hip hop, and more! To learn more about group exercise options, and to register for a class, go to https://und.edu/student-life/wellness-center/ for more information.  

Spring Studyathon 

Studying is a sure-fire way to feel prepared and eliminate stress before finals! UND Greek Life will be hosting the “Studyathon” on Sunday, May 8th from 12pm-6pm. This will be taking place in the Memorial Union Ballroom. This event is open to ALL UND students, no matter if you are in Greek Life or not. At the event, there will be plenty of snacks, food, and chances to win prizes (not to mention studying!).  

Whether attending one, or many, of these events, it is without a doubt the UND is providing students with a plethora of options to help destress before finals. Now that you know more about what’s happening around campus, which will you be attending? 

Dominique Menard is a Dakota Student News Editor. She can be reached at [email protected].