Wahl & Mastrud Win Student Government Elections

Dominique Menard, News Editor

The student government elections concluded on April 20th, 2022, a week behind the intended end date due to unforeseen weather conditions. Wahl & Mastrud won their bid for Student Body President and Vice President. When the polls closed on Wednesday night, the Wahl & Mastrud team had received 1,928 votes out of the 2,836 that were cast. 

The Dakota Student received a statement from the Wahl & Mastrud team on what this win means to them; the gratitude that they feel for the UND student population, the hard work that they plan to put in, and the work they plan to begin.  

The team had to say:  

“We are honored the UND Student Body has put their trust in us to serve as UND’s next student Body President and Vice President. This could not have been possible without the help and support of our amazing volunteers and team. We want to thank UND students for engaging with the election and learning more about Student Government. Election Day was just the beginning of our team engaging with all corners of campus. Thank you for sharing your values, perspectives, and feedback with us throughout our campaign. We will continue to listen, engage with students, and build upon conversations to serve all of you. We are so excited for the future and can’t wait to get to work!” 

For the last few weeks, Wahl & Mastrud have received a plethora of endorsements on social media from students across UND’s campus. Notable endorsements included the current and previous two Student Body President’s and Vice President’s. The countless endorsements translated to votes on April 20th, which ultimately led to the team’s win.  

As for the following individuals who ran for Student Senate seats, the results are as follows:  

College of Arts & Science Senator: Isaiah Germolus  

College of Business and Public Administration Student Senator: Eliza Schueneman  

College of Education and Human Development Student Senator: Emma Rudolph  

College of Engineering and Mines Student Senator: Luca Beretta  

School of Graduate Studies Student Senator: Sierra Johnson  

John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences Student Senator: Jordon Gyapong  

School of Medicine & Health Sciences Student Senator: Kjerstin Drugan  

College of Nursing and Professional Disciplines Student Senator: Magdalena (Maggie) Weber  

School of Law Student Senator: Collin Poolman 

Residence Halls Student Senator (2 positions elected): Amanda Perez & Payton Carter  

On-Campus Apartments Student Senator (1 position elected): Nicole Wu 

Off-Campus Housing (9 positions elected): Olivia Taylor, Jack Rieder, Chloe Lord, Lexi Purdy, Ella Nelson, Madison Schoenberg, Lauren Diede, Tanner Schaff, Daniel Lilya 

To learn more about what Wahl & Mastrud plan to accomplish in their upcoming year, read their article located on the Dakota Student here. 

Student Government Race in Full Swing – Wahl & Mastrud

Dominique Menard is Dakota Student News Editor. She can be reached at [email protected]