Mosher hearings remain undecided

JOB Hearings on a UND French professor’s job are still awaiting a conclusion.

The process determining whether or not UND Assistant French Professor Sarah Mosher will get her contract renewed will continue into next week.

The University Senate’s Standing Committee on Faculty Rights met Monday in the Memorial Union’s second floor Memorial meeting room to discuss the documents and brainstorm a draft of the final letter that will be submitted to President Robert Kelley.

“Findings of fact are what we have to present to President Kelley,” Geography Professor Doug Munski said during discussion. “We need to say that this is the evidence and this is what we’ve found.”

The members unanimously agreed that Mosher had not violated the “three pillars” of teaching, research and service but they discussed a potential new fourth pillar that she may have violated, “collegiality.”

“There were plenty of demonstrations of personality clashes, but it was poorly handled even by senior tenured faculty,” Murphy said. “If someone slams a door and is unhappy at one point within five years, is it relevant?”

Mosher’s behavior hasn’t been a problem for students in the French program. According to the committee’s discussion, the amount of French minors has stayed the same since Mosher was hired, but the amount of French majors is now four times larger.

At the end of the meeting, Munski agreed to write the draft and have it ready by Monday. He emphasized “it is only a draft though,” which is “tentative and could change.”

The committee will resume Mosher’s hearing Monday at 4 p.m. to discuss the draft. Its goal is to have the letter ready to send to Kelley at the end of the meeting. The meeting’s location is yet to be determined, but it is open to the public.

The committee consists of members from a wide variety of departments. Monday’s meeting consisted of Munski, Associate Dean of Teacher Education Barbara Combs, Philosophy and Religion Professor Donald Poochigian, Associate Medical Professor Eric Murphy and Associate Aviation Professor John Bridewell.

Jaye Millspaugh is the multimedia editor of The Dakota Student. She can be reached at jaye.millspaugh.2@my.und.edu