Denver Sweeps North Dakota tennis

Picture by Caitlin Collins

Alex Mailes, Sports Writer

Both the men’s and women’s tennis teams continued Summit League play against the Denver Pioneers at home this past weekend. The Pioneers prevailed in both matches, defeating the women 6-1 and the men 5-2. 

Women 

The Fighting Hawks struggled early, dropping the doubles point after losing both 1 and 2 doubles 6-2. Position three doubles remained unfinished at 4-3.  

UND fared better in singles play. North Dakota’s top player, Sapir Sela, battled at the 1 position after dropping the first 6-7. Sela came back to capture the second set 7-6 to force a decider. Her effort was not enough, however, as she went on to drop the final tiebreaker 10-8 to Denver’s Anna Reidmiller. 

The Hawks lone win came from Andrea Jansson at the three spot. She overcame the Pioneer’s Britt Pursel in straight-set 6-3 6-3 to earn her 3rd Summit League victory and 9th singles win this season. 

Other notable performances came from Allie Ochoterena and Nina Zdravkovich. Ochoterena fought back after dropping the first set 6-0, she kept pace with her opponent in the following set before ultimately losing 6-4. Zdravkovich battled in her opening set, narrowly dropping it 7-6. She continued to fight until ultimately succumbing to Denver’s Camille Verdon-Anderson 7-6 6-2. 

This loss dropped UND to 2-2 in the Summit League play and 7-9 overall. The Fighting Hawks next match is April 30th in the Summit League Conference Tournament.  

Picture by Caitlin Collins

Men 

The men also struggled in the opening doubles play, with both 1 and 2 doubles losing 6-1 and handing the doubles point to the Pioneers. Position 3 doubles remained unfinished, tied at 3-3. 

Despite the poor start, the Hawks began to find traction in singlesUND’s Number 1 singles player Gerhald Sullwald fought back from a set down to defeat Denver’s top player Matt Summers 3-6 7-5 10-6 to earn his fourth victory at the 1 position and his second Summit League singles victory. 

North Dakota’s other win came from Edmound Aynedjian at the five spot. He overcame the Pioneer’s Peter Sallay in three sets 2-6 6-2 6-3 to pick up his second conference win 12th overall singles victory. 

UND’s 5-2 loss is their best result against nationally-ranked opponents. Denver is currently ranked 45th in the country and 46th in the ITA coaches poll. The Pioneers’ win over the Hawks put them at a perfect 4-0 in conference play and clinched the Summit League title. The loss put North Dakota at 10-5 overall and 2-1 in conference play.  

The Hawks next match is April 24th against conference rival UNO in Omaha, Nb. 

Alex Mailes is a Dakota Student Sports Writer. He can be reached at [email protected]