How to survive Mercury retrograde

Olga Kopp, Arts and Community Writer

“I have a huge headache today; it is probably because Mercury is about to retrograde again!” 

Have you heard someone mentioning Mercury retrograde and wondered what they were talking about? 

Everyone seems interested in this phenomenon and today I will discuss the mystery behind Mercury retrograde. 

Fortunately, or not, Mercury is currently in retrograde, and it will last approximately till November 3, so be aware! 

For those of you who do not know, Mercury is a quick-moving planet that is supposed to be responsible for working state of technology, communication, and travel. According to astrology, it helps people transfer and receive their messages to others.  

You may ask, how does it work? The simple answer is three or four times a year, Mercury passes the earth in its orbit. As it rounds the bend, Mercury slows down and appears to stop (station) and spin backward (retrograde). Of course, it really ISN’T moving backward, but much like two trains or cars passing each other, this creates the optical illusion that one (Mercury, in this case) is going backward, according to astrostyle.com website.  

In astrology, they have believed there is a special relationship between the orbits in the heavens and human activity down here on Earth. This explains the connection between Mercury in retrograde and the working state of technology, people’s communication, and travel. When Mercury is iretrograde, all these areas thaare controlled by it can be affected in a way that they may get out of control. Thus, do not be surprised when your computer will randomly stop working, and you will not be able to save your school or work project. You may also have to check that text message you sent your friend because there is a chance it has some typos. Your phone or internet connection may be affected by it. In fact, my phone has been acting weird today and now I know why! Also, be prepared to change your travel plans, because when Mercury is in retrograde, you know everything will get out of control.  

Why does this happen? When a planet retrogrades, astrologically it is in a resting or sleeping state. Therefore, while Mercury naps, the activities that it governs don’t have the benefit of a well-functioning, wide-awake planet to supervise them, according to astrologyzone.com website. Thus, as you can see there is a mysterious connection between this planet and human activity on the Earth. It seems the universe tries to tell us something important. Therefore, when something bad happens, people tend to blame Mercury in retrograde for their ruined plans, bad mood, poor health, etc. 

You may ask how to survive this unpredicted mysterious time period. The answer is simple, pay attention to your communication activities: proofread your messages, emails, Dm’s and other communication platforms before sending the message. It is best for you to not make important decisions, changes or work on major projects during this time. You should also avoid major trips in order to keep your nerves safe. If you cannot avoid traveling, then, be prepared for major delays and pack the book to entertain yourself.  

Be prepared for inconveniences, back up your digital data, leave early for any travel or appointments, prepare yourself and breath before speaking, insure or track important mail and packages, be careful when using your phone and computer, tune-up your vehiclesand keep emergency roadside kit in your vehicle.  

Most important: do not panic! You can use this time to handle unfinished business or to relax and reflect on your feelings. Think of it as if it is a self-care time. So, relax at home and enjoy your quality time while drinking a warm tea or coffee, reading your favorite book, or doing something that brings you joy.  

Take advantage of the situation and roll with it. Embrace the chaos and use it as an opportunity!

lga Kopp is a Dakota Student Art and Community Writer. She can be reached at [email protected]