Bash & Pop

Cameron Campbell, Staff Writer

In the early 1980s, a legendary punk band was born in Minneapolis, MN, known as The Replacements. The lineup consisted of Chris Mars on drums, Paul Westerberg on lead vocals and guitar, and two brothers. Bob Stinson who played guitar and his younger brother Tommy Stinson on bass.

During their rise, Tommy Stinson was still a kid. He ended up growing up in bars and on the road. The manager of The Replacements actually became Tommy’s legal guardian to get him into bars so he could play the gigs.

As legend has it, Tommy dropped out of school by walking into the principal’s office with a boom box and started playing the band’s song “F*** School.” After that he never went back.

As the years went on, The Replacements would inevitably break up. However, that didn’t mean Stinson’s musical career was over. He would go on to play bass for many different bands including Soul Asylum and Guns N’ Roses.

In the midst of all of that, Stinson created a band that never existed called Bash & Pop. The band imploded before their first show.

Now in 2017, Tommy Stinson went back and brought the band to life with their debut studio album “Anything Could Happen.”

The album shows the rock and blues side of Stinson that hasn’t been heard since he was in The Replacements. It was also good to hear his voice, rather than him just stay. away from the mic.

The entire album is fantastic from start to finish. It starts off with the song “Not This Time.” The song is catchy and immediately sets the tone of the album.

The songs to listen for in this album are “On the Rocks,” “Anything Could Happen,” “Unf*** You” and “Jesus Loves You.”

Starting with “On the Rocks,” this was the first song I heard off this album and I immediately fell in love it. The bouncing rock sound drives the song. It calls back to the sounds of end of The Replacements.

“Anything Could Happen” is the title track for a reason, and it’s not just because of the name. The song catches your ear right from the get go. You can hear the influences he received when playing with Soul Asylum.

About midway through the album, the tone starts to gear towards a softer side with slower more acoustic like songs which is never a bad thing. It just makes it better when they hit back with a rocking song.

That song is “Unf*** You.” It’s just what you need near the end of an album. It shows off the “I don’t care” attitude that you can feel when listening to “The Replacements”.

The second to last song “Jesus Loves You” is a great uplifting song. It’s not religious at all, and it actually just pokes fun at the phrase. 

“Anything Could Happen” is an album that I would highly recommend no matter what music genre you may be into. I am very confident that this album will be on my top three favorite of 2017.

Cameron Campbell is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected]