Fighting Hawks herd the Bisons

The UND 2016 NCAA championship banner was raised Saturday evening at the Ralph Engelstad Arena before an exhibition game against the Manitoba Bisons.

Men’s hockey defeat Manitoba Bisons at the Ralph in exhibition play 5-1

As the UND band played and the spotlight led the 2016 NCAA National Championship banner to its new home in the Ralph Engelstad Arena, Fighting Hawks fans cheered, it was a moment that can never be recreated.

The lights flashed back on and thus began the new season for the Hawks. UND welcomed the University of Manitoba Bisons for the first ever sold out exhibition game at the Ralph to kick off the season. 

“I thought it was tremendous. I thought it was very special. I thought the university, Jody Hodgson and Ralph Engelstad Arena did a tremendous job of making this a special night,” Head coach Brad Berry said. “A big part of that was remembering the seven other championships, which laid the foundation for our success.’’

The gap left by the departures of nine championship players was noticed during the exhibition game, with slow skates and an interestingly low score through two periods. The fans could not help but wonder if this team could contend with last seasons championship roster.

Through most of the first period the Bison held their ground showing off their strong defensive skills and tough goaltending by Justin Paulic who made 11 saves in the first.

Within the last minute of play in the first, Junior Tucker Poolman set up freshman Zach Yon who came from behind the net and found his first goal in his collegiate career.

“I can’t even put it into words,’’ Yon said. “It is indescribable. Growing up around here, I’ve always come to games, sitting in the stands. Now to finally get on the ice, it’s awesome.’’

10 seconds later,  UNDs energy was still high when sophomore Shane Gersich beat Paulic, glove side, with a shot from the face-off circle to put UND up 2-0 at the end of the first period.

Cam Johnson made nine saves in just over 30 minutes of play before UND made a change and Matej Tomek saw some ice time for the first time since his surgery last season.

Between Johnson and Tomek UND continued to keep the Bisons off the board through the second. The same efforts also came from the Manitoba side and they exchanged goalies and Byron Priggs stopped eight of UND shots in the second period, the only Manitoba goalie to stop all shots from the Hawks.

There was a noticeable shift in the Hawks skaters in the third, they came in looking to solidify their first win, and that is just what they did.

Manitoba made it onto the board in the third period but Brock Boeser, last season’s points leader, sniped one through traffic in the front assisted by Gersich to extend their lead 3-1. Gersich finished the night with one goal and two assists.

“It was a good game,’’ Gersich said. “It took a while there at the beginning, so we’ve got to get our legs under us at the start. As the game went on, I thought we started playing better and better.’’

Manitoba took some crucial penalties in the third that ultimately sealed their fate. After Boesers powerplay goal, Poolman took the puck to the blue line and shot through Manitoba defensemen defeating Bison goalie, Dasan Sydora.

With a final full strength goal from sophomore Mike Gornall, UND solidified their 5-1 win.

The new squad saw contributions from a variety of new players, holding promise for solid replacements for last seasons top scorers Troy Stecher, Drake Cagguila and Nick Schmaltz.

“Come Monday morning, we’ve got to get to another level,” said Berry. “It doesn’t happen overnight. It happens day by day, coming in here and our guys know that.’’

The Hawks will remain on home ice for their next series against Canisius Oct. 7-8. The puck drop for the Friday series kicks off is set for 7:37 p.m.

Allyson Bento is the sports editor for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected]