UND deans take bus tour this fall

UND deans bus tour of North Dakota is set for Sept. 20-21

The goal is for UND’s deans to listen, learn about the state, find ways to partner and build bridges toward collaborations

In an effort to better understand the needs of North Dakota and to improve collaboration among North Dakota University System (NDUS) institutions, the academic deans at the University of North Dakota will take part in a two-day tour of the state next week, visiting colleges and meeting with community members, alumni and other stakeholders.

The goal is for UND’s deans to listen, learn about the state, find ways to partner and build bridges toward collaborations. In this tour, the group of deans will visit three academic institutions: Lake Region State College in Devils Lake, Bismarck State College and United Tribes Technical College in Bismarck.

The deans also will attend an alumni event, meet with NDUS Chancellor Mark Hagerott and his leadership team, and conduct individual meetings with other stakeholders across the state.

Tour coordinators from UND hope that this is only a start and would like to repeat the tour and visit other colleges and communities in the future.

Here is the itinerary for this tour:

Day 1 – Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Summary: Wake up to UND in Grand Forks, Visits to small NDUS campus or ND Tribal College, Alumni Reception in Bismarck
(Special Note:  Wake Up to UND/Chamber Breakfast will be held at 7:30 a.m. at the Memorial Union on Sept. 20.  Tour departure following that event.)

7:00 a.m.  Dean Williams may pick up Suburban at UND Transportation Services

7:30 a.m. Wake Up to UND. Sponsored by UND and the Chamber

9:15 a.m. Meet in the small parking lot east of Swanson and west of the parking ramp that is located on the corner of Columbia Road and 2nd Avenue North 

9:30 a.m. Depart Grand Forks

11:00 a.m. Briefing and Tour at Lake Region State College: Doug Darling, President, Lloyd Halvorson, VP Academic and Student Affairs, Dan Johnson, Registrar/Professor Emeritus, John Cowger, Campus Director-Grand Forks Air Force Base, Brandi Nelson, Director of Instructional Services, Stephanie Shock, Director of Student Services, Andy Wakeford, Online Education Advisor

12:00 noon Quick lunch in Devils Lake (TBD)

1:00 p.m. Depart Devils Lake. Short break on the way to Bismarck (location TBD)

4:15 p.m. Arrive in Bismarck. Check-in to AmericInn Hotel -3235 State Street, Bismarck

5:00 p.m. UND Alumni Event – Montana Dakota Utilities (MDU), 1200 W Century Ave, Building #3 (Last building, farthest North, located in the Brightside Room)

7:15 p.m. Conclude Alumni Event

7:30 p.m. Dinner Reservations at 40 Steak + Seafood 1401 E Interchange Ave, Bismarck, ND 58501

9:30 p.m. Return to Hotel

Day 2Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Summary: Bismarck – Tour of Bismarck State College, State Capitol tour and United Tribes Technical College tour

7:30 a.m. Check out of hotel / load bus

8:00 a.m. Breakfast and Meet & Greet at Bismarck State College, NECE 335

8:20 a.m. Virtual Tour, NECE 335

8:30 a.m. Campus Tour NECE Labs LEA Hall Student Union

9:30 a.m. Open discussion, Alumni Room

10:30 a.m. Adjourn – Travel to State Capitol Building

11:00 a.m. Meeting with Chancellor Mark Hagerott at State Capitol, Ground Floor, Fort Totten Room

12:00 noon Lunch near Capitol Building (Suggestion: The Walrus-1136 N. 3rd Street)

1:30 p.m. United Tribes Technical College, Student Services Conference Room: Sheridan McNeil – Director of Career & Technical Education

William (Bill) Gourneau – Vice President of Campus Services

Leah Hamann – Director of Extended Learning & Teacher Ed Faculty

Jeremy Guinn – Chair of Tribal Environmental Science

Erik Cutler – Chair of Business Management

Mike Wetsch – Chair of Criminal Justice

Sherry Messmer – Nursing Faculty

DeLana Wendland – Vice President of Student Services

Lisa Azure – Vice President of Academic Affairs & Chair of Teacher Ed

3:00 p.m. Depart Bismarck

7:00 p.m. Arrive in Grand Forks

Matt Eidson is the opinion editor for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected]