UND launches online masters in electrical engineering

Students interested in furthering their education in electrical engineering online can now do so through UND.

Last week the university announced the College of Engineering and Mines will now offer a Master of Science degree entirely online. Currently, the university offers bachelor’s degrees in electrical, petroleum, chemical, civil and mechanical engineering online. This will be its first graduate degree in an engineering discipline offered online.

“UND’s Department of Electrical Engineering receives numerous requests from recent graduates who are already in their careers, but still wanted to further their education,” said Sima Noghanian, associate professor and chair, said in a statement. “This online program allows them to pursue a master’s degree while continuing their careers.”

A masters degree in electrical engineering was the 3rd highest paying masters degree in 2015, according to Forbes. Early career pay averaged $80,600, while mid-career pay is $128,000.

“Many people balance careers and family commitments, therefore they do not have time to visit campus and participate in scheduled lectures. With this program, they can do it on their time,” said Reza Fazel-Rezai, associate professor and program director. “The trend today is online learning, especially at the graduate level.”

According to UND, most of the courses necessary to complete the Master’s degree are already offered online, which will make the implementation of the program’s first year more seamless.

The degree will be an addition to the over 50 programs already offered online by UND, which have an enrollment of over 7000 students.

“Students want to continue their education, but want to start their careers as well,” said Fazel-Rezai. “This program is a win for students, a win for our department and a win for companies that employ our graduates.”

Sean Cleary is the Editor-in-Chief for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected]