Big Event helps make big difference

Building upon a vision for a better tomorrow, over one thousand UND students and their families gathered on Saturday at the UND Wellness Center to volunteer for the 8th annual Big Event. Through facilitated community service projects, the Big Event promotes harmony between the University of North Dakota, its students and the city of Grand Forks. Participants ranged from the everyday student, siblings, fraternity brothers, sorority sisters and members of the community who really care.

Last year more than twelve hundred people participated in the Big Event servicing more than one hundred seventy-five locations in the Grand Forks area, reports the UND Big Event website. “No job is too big or too small for Big Event volunteers. Volunteers serve at local churches, non-profits, and elderly individuals’ homes in addition to many others. They rake, paint, pick up garbage, wash windows, work with nursing home residents, assist at YMCA youth events, ready local parks for summer, and much more!” explains the UND Big Event website.

UND Freshmen and Biology Major Cassandra Savag was seen picking up garbage and other debris near the Red and Red Lake rivers of East Grand Forks Saturday morning. “I wanted to help volunteer and all my friends were doing it,” said Savag.

With a garbage bag half-full Sarh Hartenstein, a UND Medical Lab major removed waste in the East Grand Forks Park for Big Event. “I just wanted to do a good service project and help out,” said Hartenstein.

10-year old, Aaron Minar of Lake Agassiz Elementary was among the UND Big Event volunteers assigned to the Red and Red Lake rivers. Minar helped remove beer and soda cans, cigarette butts and snuff tops near Minnesota’s riverbanks.

Big Event also drew returning volunteers such as UND Sigma Nu fraternity members, Sam Mueller, Matt Wilson, Matt Grounds and David Jackson. For two-years in a row Mueller, Wilson and Jackson have been involved with UND’s Big Event. Last year Jackson volunteered for a ranch in Grand Forks. “Today we are just trying to help out the community and make it a better place,” said Jackson.

Saturday marked Grounds third year volunteering for Big Event. In previous years, Grounds has completed community service for the elderly and individuals with autism. This year Grounds and his fraternity brothers walked the edge of the Red River removing trash. “It’s is a great way to stay in shape,” said Grounds.

Ashley Bolsis, a sophomore, was a first time volunteer for Big Event. For Bolsis, volunteering was something she had thought about doing since last year. With many of Bolsis’ friends taking part in this year’s Big Event, it only made sense that she would join them. “Some of my friends wanted to do it. I wanted to do it last year but didn’t have anybody to do it with me. Today we are out at the parks, picking up garbage, making sure everything is cleaned up,” explained Bolsis.

UND Senior and second year Big Event volunteer Josh Hobbs cleaned out gutters, washed windows and completed yard work for the elderly this year. Hobbs became acquainted with Big Event via word of mouth. “I had a co-worker that was doing it and he thought I would be interested in it as well,” Hobbs explained.

UND Junior, Jordan Erickson climbed roofs for this year’s Big Event. Erickson, who was a Big Event newbie, cleaned gutters and trimmed bushes alongside Josh Hobbs. “I wanted to volunteer last year but I had to work,” said Erickson. This year, Erickson made it a priority to volunteer for the Big Event. Not only was Erickson able to help others for Big Event, he also found that he could spend quality time with friends, like Hobbs.   “This year I volunteered because I thought it would be fun,” told Erickson.

Emily Hoeper, a UND Junior, joined Big Event for the first time Saturday because her friends had signed up.  For Hoeper being able to do community service with close friends made it more appealing to volunteer for Big Event. Hoeper completed yard work while socializing with university buds.  “I mainly washed windows. Some of the guys were up on the roof taking some of the leaves out of the gutters,” explained Hoeper.

UND Senior Austin Dhuyvetter volunteered with Hoeper, Erickson and Hobbs. For Dhuyvetter, an English major, the Big Event has created lasting memories, strengthened friendships and forged new bonds. “I think it is really awesome to see so many students enjoying doing service on a beautiful spring day. It was organic, all organic, guys. We got to help two sweet old ladies with their gutter work, some spring-cleaning and window washing. One of them made us some treats. She was a darling. We are going to go back this summer and see if she needs any summer stuff done,” said Dhuyvetter.

This year’s Big Event evoked benevolence, courage, compassion and depth of feeling from Grand Forks participants. UND’s Big Event is an inspirational model. It proves that service to others can make our world a better place, one service-project at a time. In the words of Doctor Martin Luther King, Jr., “All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.” This year’s Big Event volunteers were seen not only meeting Dr. King’s expectations but far exceeding them. Volunteers at UND’s Big Event are living proof that our school and community are comprised of people with great character.