UND ROTC is overlooked

Student military group offers growth, community.

Getting through college has to be one of the most arduous steps that people take in their lives. Arguably the most important factor in determining where you will go in life, graduating from college is commonly the most difficult task someone can accomplish. And while nearly essential to having a successful career, it can also be your downfall, coming back to bite you decades after graduating.

Still, being a college student myself, I don’t assume to be an authority on the subject — at least not yet. But I’ve already learned a lot about this wonderful institution of which we are all a part. There are multiple paths you can take to assist you financially through your path to higher education — scholarships, multiple jobs, loans upon loans or winning the lottery.

A popular choice at UND is the Reserve Officers Training Corps. This program allows students to enroll in school while at the same time receive military training based on the branch they choose. ROTC is a popular choice among my friends. I can even say I know more people in ROTC than I know people in the aviation program with me.

So what’s the reason behind the widespread popularity of ROTC? Certainly the cash is a motivating factor. It’s always nice to have a few extra bucks in your pocket, especially while in school. But when asked what the most important reason for being in ROTC was, my friends in the program said friendship was the biggest draw. The loyalty between members in any form of military service is widely known for being among the strongest, most resilient of any organization found on Earth.

“It’s made me a lot more out going since joined,” enlisted ROTC officer Kaitlyn Goener said. “I found out more about myself instead of being sheltered at home.

“Getting good grades, knowing I would have to wake up early, often, if it weren’t for ROTC my grades would be [worse].”

In all, ROTC is very much liked among those in it. I can confidently say that ROTC is an immensely beneficial program for our campus, and I suggest inquiring more if you’re interested.

Dusk Crescenzo is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected].