Death on the Nile 2022 Review (SPOILERS!)

Claire Arneson, General Reporter

The University of North Dakota’s Student Involvement often gives out movie vouchers to view films at River Cinema located in East Grand Forks. I used my voucher to see Death on the Nile, a film that stars and is directed by Kenneth Branagh. The movie is based on Agatha Christie’s novel with the same title and is a rendition of the 1978 film. So far, the movie has a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 63%, and IMDb gives it a 6.7/10. 

The movie takes place in 1937 and follows Hercule Peroit (Kenneth Branagh), a renowned Belgian detective. His travels lead him to accompany wealthy newlyweds Linnet Ridgeway Doyle (Gal Gadot) and Simon Doyle (Armie Hammer) as they travel Egypt for their honeymoon. However, Jaqueline de Bellefort (Emma Mackey), Simon’s former fiancée and Linnet’s former best friend, stalked the two all over Egypt. In an attempt to get away, the couple brings all their friends and family on a boat to explore the Nile River. Despite the newlyweds’ best efforts, de Bellefort still finds them and boards the ship. After a night full of chaos, the sun rises over Linnet’s body with a bullet in her head.  

Peroit questions the individuals aboard the boat, and while doing this, the guests are dropping like flies. Following Linnet’s body into the meat freezer, the first victim was Linnet’s maid, Eloise, and shortly after was Peroit’s friend, Bouc. Both of these guests saw the killer, so naturally, they were next to be shot and killed. The movie climaxes with all the suspects locked in a room with Peroit recounting everything that went into the murder. In the end, we find out that former lovers Simon Doyle and Jaqueline de Bellefort teamed up to inherit all of Linnet Ridgeway’s money. When caught, Jaqueline fires the final bullet into the back of Simon as they share one last kiss, killing them both. The movie ends with everyone exiting the boat, followed by five bodies wrapped like mummies. Each person leaving the ship leaves with a new value for life and a unique story to tell.  

The movie tries to be more of a murder mystery but emphasizes acts of love. It talks of the love between Jaqueline and Simon, Simon and Linnet, Peroit and his long-lost wife, and even Bouc and his love. Essentially, everyone is in love, which trumps the fact that there is a killer on the boat. This movie had a talented cast, and each character brought something to the storyline. However, the plot was hard to keep up with, and the jarring camera angles left me cringing. I am still not 100% sure how everyone died. The movie itself was not bad in nature, but if you are looking for a film focusing on solving a murder mystery rather than love, I would watch something else. I rate this movie 6/10. It’s a good watch if you have time to kill (pun intended), but I wouldn’t recommend it otherwise.   

Claire Arneson is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected]