Letter from Kennedy

Letter from Kennedy

Welcome to the University of North Dakota!

You have made a wise decision to choose the region’s flagship university. Coming off of our eighth national hockey championship, we enter a new school year anticipating exciting opportunities to learn, make lifelong friends and cheer UND on to victory.

UND can propel you to future success if you make the most of your time here. Diving in and getting involved with some of the over 275 student organizations on campus offers rewarding opportunities to gain knowledge about the profession you are pursuing, build social skills and explore new experiences.

Debbie and I took advantage of many chances to grow through these extra curricular activities. All of them contributed in rich and rewarding ways to our journey in life.

• Clubs focused on our fields of study helped us understand the essential elements of our chosen profession.

• Being the captain of an undefeated co-ed volleyball team taught me about recruiting diverse talent (including a couple of Hong Kong students) and blending their skills into a winning formula.

• Touring throughout the upper Midwest with the university’s chorus taught me the importance of my voice being in harmony with others in the choir. An extended period of group travel also taught the importance of accommodating others with different habits.

• Becoming the conference wide intramural free throw champion taught me the importance of technique and discipline.

• Playing in the pep band helped me understand that keeping a positive spirit is essential to victory.

• Studying abroad in the Netherlands with students from all over the world truly opened our eyes to those who thought differently, adding perspective to our views on a range of matters.

Truly preparing for not just a successful career, but a rewarding life of service to others requires more than just diligent studies. It comes from being actively engaged. Take advantage of the many opportunities to do so here at UND.

Mark Kennedy

Incoming UND President