Grand Forks supports diversity together

Students and administrators engage in a diversity dialogue at Wilkerson Commons on UND campus. Photo by Natosha Lund/ The Dakota Student

This week, I had the chance to gather with a diverse crowd who all showed up for the same cause. There was no arguing or finger pointing at one another, but rather respect, compassion, hope and prayer.

In the Grand Forks Town Square stood about a hundred people with lights in their hands honoring, those who were affected by the recent acts of terrorism across the world. The candlelight vigil showed me that a small town can come together, support each other and make their voices heard.

I haven’t lived in Grand Forks for very long, so I’m new to the city’s culture. I was surprised to see the large community response through its willingness to come out and support its neighbors.

The event was put on by North Dakotans for Diversity and Compassion. Coinciding vigils took place in Bismarck and Fargo as well. The event in Grand Forks was led by Natasha Thomas, who further extended an invitation to a local coffee shop.

One of the biggest things I took away from the candlelight vigil was when UND professor Muhammad Samin Khan spoke about how it was possible for the West and Islam to coexist. All eyes were on a man who could speak from experience on the effects terror and violence do to a country and its people.

During the candlelight vigil, I saw many people who came together as a way to remember those affected, engaging in a conversation about worldwide events. I think it speaks to the kinds of people who are in our community.

I do not believe everyone who lives here is horrible, nor do I think Grand Forks is a bad place.

An event like this gives me hope for the future. The candlelight vigil is a stepping stone to how Grand Forks can be.

Let us not forget the victims and those affected by such events, but also let us not forget that within our own community there are issues we can gather for, starting conversations worth talking about.

Just because the candlelight vigil is not an everyday event doesn’t mean we should forget the fact that people gather for a greater cause. It is a good step for the future.

What are the further conversations we need to have, and how can we come together in the future?

Amina Chinnell is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at

[email protected]