RAIN program receives grant

The University of North Dakota Recruitment-Retention of American Indians into Nursing (RAIN) program, a part of the UND College of Nursing, recently received a grant of a total of $555,152, according a UND news release.

The grant will assist American Indian tribal members pursuing an education in nursing. It will help the Three Affiliated Tribes (Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara) to address educational and employment needs within their community.

The RAIN program provides assistance to American Indian students from pre-nursing programs to students at the doctoral level by offering academic, personal and financial counseling to students. Federal grants for the RAIN program have brought over $7.8 million to UND since its creation.

The program also coordinates honor ceremonies and provides traditional American Indian meals and music for graduates to maintain and promote cultural identity. These ceremonies have been an important part of the program since its creation.

The program will celebrate its 25th anniversary this year. It was created in 1990 as a result of the Indian Health Care Improvement Act, and it has assisted in the the graduation of 174 American Indian nurses with bachelor degrees, 50 with master’s degrees and four with doctorate degrees in nursing.

According to the program’s webpage, 77 of the 79 American Indian Registered Nurses currently in North Dakota are graduates of the RAIN program. The program encourages success for graduates by maintain support with networks with the American Indian and University communities. Additionally, the program is designed to help the UND College of Nursing recruit and retain American Indian students

The program also works toward promoting the nursing profession as a career option for American Indians, as well as improving the cultural awareness of UND faculty, staff and students.

Elliot Golden is a news writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected]