Opening ribbon cut at Wilkerson Commons

One of the new healthy food stations in the Wilkerson Commons. Photo by Nick Nelson/ The Dakota Student

After five years of planning, organization and teamwork, Wilkerson Commons officially reopened last week. A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held on Friday, Oct. 2 in order to recognize everyone’s contributions to the building.

At 10 a.m., UND faculty and staff gathered together in the upstairs conference room of Wilkerson. The vice president of academic affairs Tom DiLorenzo opened the event with a speech, explaining that 46 years ago Wilkerson Hall was dedicated to James Wallace Wilkerson. DiLorenzo then explained that it has since been renamed Wilkerson Commons in light of the new establishment being shared by a community as a whole.

Afterward, the vice president of student affairs, Lori Reesor, spoke on behalf of the new additions to the building. The main floor contains a student service center and seating areas with adaptable means for technology. There are a couple of services in progress such as the To-Go line and a Stomping Grounds coffee shop.

While the lower level is a place to collaborate and study, the upper level is dedicated to food service. This combination of meal and study space is expected to enhance learning and student success. Various local businesses and UND committees who assisted with this project were recognized as well.

Jason Gallagher, the assistant director of residential dining, spoke on behalf of the improved dining center in Wilkerson. There are eight new cooking areas, which include a new smoked meats offering and a Brazilian barbeque, for example.

There is also a sauté and global cuisine station available. In the words of Gallagher, the new Wilkerson is student friendly and much more customizable with fresher food and a gluten and allergen-free zone.

The dining area also offers a new chef’s table. Chefs are able to demonstrate cooking techniques out in the open rather than a private area.

“It’s like we have a food network in our own kitchen,” Gallagher said.

The fact that Wilkerson is a greener facility is another key improvement. Trays are no longer provided to students in order to reduce water and chemical usage.

Not only is the facility greener, but the improved set-up is expected to enhance healthy eating as well. With trays gone, it is easier for students to enforce portion control rather than stack on excess calories. The soup and salad bars are also located in the front and center, and there are healthier, lean meats for students to choose from instead of unhealthy options.

“We still do have that other food for those who want it, but it becomes a choice of the student, and we’ve made both of them available,” Gallagher said.

Kassidi Andres is a features writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected]