Technology: Distracting us from our work

In a world that is centered around technological enhancement, the world of communication is slowly fading away. It seems no matter what new iPhone or Android device comes out, we are slowly losing more of our ability to stay connected to those important to us.

Instant messaging is very useful, but I’m left wondering if who I send a message to is really paying attention. Did they really understand what I was trying to say? Non verbal communication can’t be read through a text message.

I am not saying the world of smartphones and tablets is bad. Nor am I saying these things haven’t made communication more effective. I’m saying instant messaging has made us fail somewhat at the process of communication.

Take an article from NPR that states, “What I have seen in the last five or six years is an erosion in students’ ability to focus, and even their ability to engage in face-to-face interaction. Students themselves notice this.”

We live in a world where these so called technological advances also have the ability to distract us, and keep our eyes glued to them. Studies on students have proven that as technology advances, our attention span diminishes.

You may be asking yourself why this is important. At the swoop of “send” your message gets delivered right? However, it seems instant messaging is a big distraction

Staying up to date on social media becomes a challenge to focus on homework because some of my friends and I decided we are going to multi-task our way through assignments. While we think we are getting work done, the reality is breaking your focus slows all work.

Other motives for our communication styles are challenged. According to Mary Vaughn who teaches at Belmont University, “We often are trying to manage people’s perceptions of us.”

When we send an email or deliver a text, the reality is that the interpersonal statement of our message and how it should perceived is not the same as if it were face to face.

There is more to facing someone  sitting down and having a conversation than it is to always reply electronically. The demands of technology are taking the demands of our attention. Many aren’t sure if we can catch up with the rate at which technology does advance. Interpersonal relationships are challenged because we begin to believe that online companionship is there. The demands of what that relationship would look like outside of a media platform are stripped away.

I believe core communication should bring people together, not push them farther apart. Perhaps it’s my own thought, but I need to put my phone down more so I can put more into my relationships.

Amina Chinnel-Mateen is a opinion writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected]