Preparing for the Big Forkin’ Festival

This week, Student Government and Student Involvement offices are giving free wristbands for the Big Forkin’ Festival located in Grand Forks, for every student who brings their student ID card. 

The Big Forkin’ festival will host over 40 bands from the region, and genres of the bands  range from rock, country, hip hop and folk music. During this festival merchandise for the bands will be sold at the Empire Arts Center along with merchandise for the Big Forkin’ festival.

“Normally a $15 value, the first 1,000 students will receive their wristband free, and the first 250 students will receive free t-shirts,” Student Body President Matt Kopp said.

If non-UND students would like to attend this event they may purchase one-day access wristband for $5 or a three-day pass for $15. Wristbands can be purchased at the doors or ahead of time at the website bigforkin.com.

The Big Forkin’ festival is over the course of three days from Thursday through Saturday. Music ran from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. last night. Today and Saturday music will run from 10 a.m. to 1 a.m.

Schedules for performing bands can be found at the website, www.bigforkin.com.

The festival headquarters and stage is located at the Empire Arts Center. There are several other stage locations within walking distance of downtown such as Town Square, The Urban Stampede, The Ember, The Hub Bar and the Corporate Center Parking Ramp. Walking guides and maps will be available during this event to help audiences find where they are trying to go.

During this event, the only location where alcohol will be for sale is The Hub bar. This is also the only place in the festival grounds where alcohol may be consumed as well.

“Student Government will also be sponsoring shuttle buses that will be running from campus to the downtown area from 6:00 PM to midnight on each day of the festival.” Kopp said.

City buses will be available during the day of the festival while, and Dietrich Bus will be running from 6:00 p.m. until midnight every night of the festival.

Temperature for the festival should be around 55 to 65 degrees during the days. During the evenings it is expected to cool down, so audiences should consider wearing something warmer.

As of now wristbands are still available. Stop by the Student Involvement or Student Government office with your UND ID card to receive your free wristband.

Tony Watson is a news reporter for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected]