Sexual Violence needs to be talked about

Sexual violence is a hard  topic to talk about.

Often it can make people scared, uncomfortable and even put people in denial.

I often think “not on my campus.” But after having the chance to be on a UND research empowerment team and doing some research on my own, I realize as a campus we are not exempt from this unfortunate reality.

Sexual violence and unhealthy sexual behaviors are a problem at campuses across the U.S. According to American College Association, it is estimated that for every 1,000 girls on a campus, there are between 35 to 38 incidents of rape that occur.

I am often surprised by the number of myths and how people suggest we change this problem. Many messages about how to change this problem involve restricting, blaming, or fear-based messages such as “Don’t walk alone at night!” and “Don’t drink too much at parties!”

But the issue is far greater than simple messages to keep girls safe. The U.S. Department of Justice says that devaluing women by suggesting such “solutions” is 37 percent more likely to do more damage than good to the girls it is pinpointed at.

I’ve been blessed by the chance to educate young women by joining a research team at UND that embraces and encourages women to think through these restrictions.

My team wants to create a change that is based in empowerment and freedom. We don’t want to tell women what to do. My team wants to have a conversation about what restrictions are out there. The team does not suggest that conversations about sexuality, sexual communication and sexual violence shouldn’t involve everyone, but those who identify as female are subject to a special kind of media scrutiny.

Oftentimes, females are on the receiving end of a  lot of messages about what it means to be a woman, how we should act, what our sexuality should look like, regardless of our sexual orientation, beliefs or practices.

So it is with my opinion that I think the seminar that is coming up holds the power to limit and uplift women against some of these myths. It is a seminar that can bring women across campus to come together and talk about myths about sexuality, how the media influences us and how we can have a more positive understanding of our sexuality.

There is power in  acknowledging our sexual rights and desires, promoting healthy sexual communication and pushing a shift towards affirmative consent.

This is a chance to share experiences, learn from one another and find ways to overcome barriers. Our options as women should not be limited. We too should have the chance to expand our options.

That is why I believe in this opportunity that is happening through this UND Women’s Seminar. Free food, and information is important.

For young women who are interested in participating, I would encourage them to take the initiative and sign up by Oct. 10. The seminar will bring women together with diverse experiences, and world views so we all can learn.

Emailing [email protected] or visiting the following website is a great start to getting involved: undpositivesexuality.weebly.com/womens-seminar

Amina Chinnell-Mateen is a opinion columnist for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected]