Classes arriving for summer, fall

Lecturer in music Chris Gable is to teach Rock and Roll History this summer. Photo by Jennifer Friese/The Dakota Student.

With spring break fresh in our minds, it can be hard to think about anything other than how late to sleep in or decide what shows on Netflix to binge watch. But for the planners among us, the weeklong break is an excellent time to pick classes for next semester. Be it summer or fall, unique new classes are now being offered.

Summer Term

If you have been thinking about taking a music class but the topics sound a little too stuffy, consider taking Rock and Roll History. This 200 level class meets Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., and it’s the first class of its kind in a decade.

“It’s a three credit course that has been approved for essential studies,” lecturer in music Chris Gable said. “It’s only offered in the summer at this point, but eventually we’d like to have it during the school year.”

Though the class has rock and roll right in the title, it also gives students an opportunity to learn about a wide array of music.

“The funny thing is that the title of the class is misleading,” Gable said. “We actually talk about a lot of styles that aren’t rock, including rap, pop, country, disco, funk and every style in between.”

The course also provides insight to the more mainstream history of the U.S. and Britain during the 20th century.

“Along the way, we also get into some social history,” Gable said. “We talk about politics of the 60’s, civil rights, feminism and LGBT issues.”

As is to be expected, a large portion of the class is devoted to listening to great music.

“There are a lot of listening assignments, and we spend a lot of time in class listening to rock music,” Gable said. “It’s not just academics, it’s fun.”

If you have any questions, Gable can be contacted at [email protected].

Fall Term

Have you wanted to start a business, but just weren’t sure how to get it off the ground? If so, ENTR 395/ENGR 410 Tech Ventures: Lean Launchpad may be the class for you.

Offered during the fall term on Tuesdays from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m.,Tech Ventures: Lean Launchpad is an intensive three-credit course that can help students learn a new and innovative way to start their own business.

“Dell, Nike and Time Magazine were all started on a college campus,” professor of entrepreneurship Tom Clement said. “It just goes to show that students start businesses on campus all the time.”

The course is based around the Lean Launchpad style of entrepreneurship — a groundbreaking new approach to opening a business.

“Lean Launchpad is basically a faster, more intuitive way of getting a business started,” Clement said. “It’s a very cool concept.”

Though the class is business oriented, it is not just for students going for a business major. All UND students considering a business venture are welcome.

“It’s currently cross listed between business and engineering,” Clement said. “It’s a tech elective for engineering and a general elective for business.”

There are some criteria that must be met to be enrolled in the course. It is necessary to have a group to work with for the class.

“We’re not accepting individual students, we want groups of two or more,” Clement said. “But if you don’t have a group, we can get you one.”

Along with the group stipulation, students must also attend a mixer event to learn more about the course on Mar. 26, in Room 7 in Gamble Hall at 6:30 p.m.

If you cannot make it to the meeting or have any further questions, Clement can be reached at [email protected].

Brendan McCabe is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected].