Special: Leaders must focus on connections

Many of Grand Forks’ leaders spend time trying to determine how to promote job openings and other benefits in an effort to convince UND students to stay put after graduation.

While the focus tends to be on the economic factors, to me it will likely be the relationships built through the years in college that will give the community the power to win over the hearts of future graduates.

For some students, Grand Forks has been their home for most of their life. For many others, it has simply been a temporary stop on their life journey.

For both groups, I believe it will be the connections made with a few individuals during the long days of classes and winters that seem to last a lifetime that will help keep the city in the hearts of many as they look to take the next step.

Looking from an out-of-state student’s point of view — I traveled here from Cheyenne, Wyo. — Grand Forks is no different than any other city with a Walmart, Target, McDonald’s and a church.

To me, it is the connections made around town at places such as downtown coffee shops, outdoor hockey rinks and music-art facilities that brought out a different side of this town to me.

As a member of Chi Alpha, a Christian organization on campus, it has been the organization’s activities and small group get-togethers that have defined many of my own relationships formed while away from home.

From the weekly Bible studies we have in the dorms and the Friday night activities at the Ember to the time we spend traveling to and from events, it has been the support of these small groups that has carried me through difficult times and situations over the past few years.

More so, it has been the compassion of two individuals this year that has continued to nourish my heart while showing me I could open up to them. Recently, they pulled me aside and took some time to remind me that while we rarely cross paths, they care for me just the same.

In the same way relationships back home are pulling me toward returning to Wyoming, it is those relationships with the small groups here pulling me to stay.

Those relationships that will help determine if I stay or leave the area in May after graduation.

In a similar fashion, while Grand Forks continues to grow and job opportunities increase, I believe it is the community groups that will not only pull others to the city, but also encourage them to stay — even when the jobs get old.

So while the job market may be considered good here in Grand Forks compared to other locations, leaders of the community may need to revise their pitches to include a bigger focus on the connections you can make in Grand Forks through activities and groups.

It may mean the difference between graduates moving on and staying put.

Matthew McKay is a special contributor to The Dakota Student.