Volleyball team sets up sweep

UND sophomore Anna Pioske bumps the ball at the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center earlier this season. Photo by Nicholas Nelson/The Dakota Student.

Sweeping up victories is quickly becoming a trend yet again for the UND women’s volleyball team.

For the fifth time this season, the UND women’s volleyball team swept its opponent — this time it was Eastern Illinois in the finale of North Dakota’s visit to Brookings, S.D., for the Jackrabbit Challenge tournament.

The 3-0 win Saturday evening came in thanks to a stellar performance from the start and a fierce comeback to take control.

“We did a good job tonight of setting the tempo in the first set,” UND coach Mark Pryor said. ”We continued that trend into the second set, and then when we were down 22-19 in the third, we immediately sided out and ran off another five straight to serve out the match.

“That showed some character. We are improving day in and day out. We just need to continue that and be consistent with that.”

Sophomore Anna Pioske led the team with 12 kills and junior MacKenzie Hard tallied 24 digs. Freshman Faith Dooley contributed eight kills and posted five blocks.

Elizabeth Erickson is the Sports Editor for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].