24th Leadership Awards held in Union

Eight leadership awards handed out, along with three scholarship recipients

The Leadership Awards ceremony is a time when UND comes together to recognize organizations, advisers and students for their outstanding contributions to the community. This year, eight awards were given out along with three leadership scholarships in the Memorial Union Ballroom on Friday.

The recipient for the UND Student Employee of the Year is Trevor Mikacevich, a senior majoring in unmanned aircraft systems and operations and was nominated by Daniel Polera, the flight line manager from UND’s Aerospace department.

Cameron Dutt received the Thomas J. Clifford award, which recognizes a student during his freshman year that best represented the highest academic standards as well as demonstrated leadership through participation in university and extra-curricular activities and/or community service.

“Getting involved on campus was the best decision I could have possibly made, and that has played a major role in my development as both a student and a citizen,” Dutt said.

The Non-Traditional Student Recognition Award is awarded to one non-traditional UND student based on the criteria of uniqueness, challenges that the student has overcome and how the student is a role model for others.

This year’s award was received by Michael Jordan. Aside from receiving the award, Jordan also received a $500 scholarship.

The Outstanding Student Organization Award recognizes student organizations that have contributed in a notable way to the UND and Grand Forks community throughout the past year.

There were five nominations for the award this year — Delta Upsilon, Law Women’s Caucus, Phi Alpha Delta Legal Fraternity, Social Work Student Organizations and the Student Association of India.

The winner of this award came to a tie between Delta Upsilon and the Phi Alpha Delta Legal Fraternity.

The Outstanding Student Organization Advisors Award is an award that recognizes student organization advisors for their commitment and dedication to students as well as their campus involvement.

The recipients of this award were Patti Alleva — the Rodney & Betty Professor of Law, Alan Borho — Atmospheric Sciences Instructor, Frank Bowman — Associate Professor for Chemical Engineering, Susan Felenge — Assistant Professor of Biology, Andrew Knight — Assistant Professor of Music, Kristi Okerlund — Coordinator of New Student and Parent Programs and Sharlette Seelan — UND Student Association of India Advisor.

For the Lillian Elsinga Outstanding Student Leader Award, 62 students were awarded. The award recognizes students who have exhibited exceptional leadership skills through their campus involvement, volunteer service efforts, on-campus employment or other life experiences.

The Dru Sjodin Memorial Scholarship is a scholarship in memory of Dru Sjodin’s vibrant spirit with the intention of turning grief into triumph.

The tenth recipient for the Dru Sjodin Memorial Scholarship is Maggie O’Leary, who is pursuing a degree in English Language and Literature and is passionate about women’s safety and violence prevention and is currently serving on the president advisory council for women’s issues.

“(O’Leary) is very deserving of the scholarship and we look forward to seeing how she will continue Dru’s legacy with her leadership, commitment and enthusiasm for women’s safety and violence prevention,” Dean of Students Cara Halgren said.

The Crockett Award for University Leadership was created by Dick and Suzie Crockett, who are loyal UND alumni and whose experiences with leadership and service have inspired them to create this award.

The recipient of the Crockett Award is Leroy Peprah. Aside from the award, Peprah also received a $2,500 scholarship and will be graduating in a few weeks with a degree in commercial aviation.

The Leadership Scholarship was awarded to three UND students.

In the Spring of 2011, the Leadership Scholarship was established by Matt Brown. He established this scholarship to further recognize the outstanding leaders who give their time and talents to make UND a better place for all.

Dr. Cassie Gerhardt, the Assistant Dean of Students for Student Involvement and Leadership, announced the winners of this award — including  Margaret Burke, William Eerdmans and Joseph Schaefbauer.

“In order to be eligible for this scholarship, students did not have to hold a specific position or serve for a specific number of years, so this scholarship is not about the length of one’s resume,” Gerhardt said.

Editor’s Note: Maggie O’Leary is the multimedia editor for The Dakota Student.

Adele Kieger is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].